Help with wireless phone setup

Unanswered Question
Jul 9th, 2007

I have set up the wireless network here and all is working well. We have 7 1130's an 9 1231G access points. We unfortunately have no controller so I had to set these all up by hand. Ihave computers connectig to one VLAN and everything works well. I can roam the building without issue.

My problem is with the 7920 wireless phone. I set up a phone vlan with the phone QOS and I am able to get the phone to reach Call Manager. I can place calls and receive calls and everything else. That is, until I roam. When I leave the first access point and move to another the phone tells me I have no service. If I turn off the phone and turn it back on I get picked up by the new access point and I can place cals and everything.

So, my question is what do I need to do to get the 7920 to roam. I have read the manual for the phone and it look slike I may have to set up some AP as a central regestration point, but I am unclear. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks much!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.3 (3 ratings)
rprpalmer Mon, 07/09/2007 - 10:08

What security are you using on the SSID and phone for the 7920's

David Graham Mon, 07/09/2007 - 10:13

I tried to use 128 bit WEP key but I kept on screwing up the key. So, I switched it over to 40 bit on both. If there is a better way to go that I can set up I'll do it. I am only married to any soltuion that will get this to work.

rprpalmer Mon, 07/09/2007 - 10:29

Are you using any other type of security such as MAC filters etc?

David Graham Mon, 07/09/2007 - 10:35

Non at all. I have the 3 vlans on the system. One is WPA, on is WEP-128, and then the voice vlan with WEP-40. Other then that it is pretty much straight out of the box as I rebuilt one right after resetting to factory defaults. Would the 1130 and 1231 configuration help? If so I can get that pulled down.

migilles Mon, 07/09/2007 - 10:32

Are you getting, No Service-IP Config Failed?

If so, then is failing to re-DHCP, so would check the AP config (wep key) and the AP switchport is in trunking mode if phone is associated to non-native VLAN.

If using static WEP, best to copy the key from one config to all others. This will ensure that all are the same and no mis-key occurs.

With static WEP, can still associate if there is a key mismatch.

Ensure to use 3.02 on the 7920s and 12.3(8)JEA1 or higher for the autonomous APs.

David Graham Mon, 07/09/2007 - 12:09

The APs were up to the latest release but the phone was not. I was not thinking and even though the phone is only a couple months old I never updated the software on Call Manager. The config file on Call manager was back from the beginning of 2004. So, I downloaded the most recent one and put it on Call Manager, had the phone update, and now it roams. IT ROAMS!! YEAH!! Thank you all very much.

Can't believe I was that stupid.

Now to just figure out how to rate this thing

migilles Tue, 07/10/2007 - 10:55

So assume you had version 1.08 loaded. Were some issues before, where BSSID was incorrect for reassocation requests. CSCeg33605 was fixed in release 1.09.

This Discussion