cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CallManager 4.2 SIP trunk

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

I am working on configuring a SIP trunk in my CallManager cluster to interface with Broadvoice for long distance. The CM SIP trunk is easy enough to configure, but I reckon that I will need to configure 2 dial-peers on my voicegateway for it. Can someone recommend an article that discusses CM SIP trunk configuration?

-Shikamaru

11 Replies 11

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you configure dial-peers for this on the VG, it will become an IP-to-IP gateway. Thing that requires a special image, license, and can complicate all the matter.

Please state where is mentioned that you have to do this way rather than trunk directly to the ITSP.

A SIP trunk in CM does not allow for security authentication (at least not that I know of). My impression is that this can be done with the dial peer to the VoIP provider. Any thoughts?

-Shikamaru

You can do the auth part in the router and have a sip leg to callmanager or even h323 to callmanager and sip to service provider on the router.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Wonderful, we've come full circle. Now, back to my original post; anyone know of a handy article for configuring SIP dial-peers?

-Shikamaru

There is nothing special about that. Just configure destination pattern, session protocol sipv2 and dtmf-relay (this one can be source of problem sometime). If you use anything lese than g729 with the ITSP, configure the codec explicitely, or a list with voice-class.

Does your ITSP requires registration ? That is another little piece of config under SIP-ua for the credentials.

Then, sorry to go back at the full circle, but you will find that unless you have an IP-to-IP image, things won't work as expected. So my recommendation to trunk directly from the CM, if possible at all, stands.

Authentication is mandatory, unfortunately. I'm not aware of image peculiarities, I'm positive that my image "c2600-j1s3-mz.123-21.bin" will handle a sip dial peers, though.

-Shikamaru

Shikamaru,

When you do H323 to SIP / SIP to SIP between CM, router and ITSP, that requires the IPIPGW image as mentioned by Paolo earlier. So i dont think we are going around in circles here.

Here are some good links.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5640/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00806b0a14.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00804579d4.html#wp1104728

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Put it bluntly, the IP-to-IP GW image requirement appears to be kind of an enforcement to cisco's commercial policy by which if you do something considered "advanced", as proxying your SIP trunking to an ITSP, you have to pay for it.

Okay, well, hopefully there's an image for this for the 2610 . . .

-Shikamaru

AFAIK, you need atleast 64 or 128mb ram to run this image. is this xm or no xm?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Yes, the memory is maxed out on the VG thankfully.

-Shikamaru

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: