cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading users VPN clients?

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

How can we automatically upgrade users Cisco VPN clients when they connect? I want it to be easy for them to upgrade.

We use a Cisco 3015 Concentrator

7 Replies 7

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Yes it is possible. you need to download the windows autoupdate files and set them up on web or ftp server. Then configure client update on the concentrator by going to the group and selecting client update. I think automatic update happens for clients running version 4.6 and up. clients with a lower version will get a pop-up for manual update. Please refer to the vpn client autoupdate white paper found in same location you download the autoupdate files.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

What is the file type for the auto updates?

Is it *.MSI?

More importantly; if the user is connected to our Concentrator from home won't they get disconnected while the upgrade takes place?

Thanks

hi,

The file are "zip" files. The client will download the files to the pc and only upgrade when the whole program is downloaded. If the client disconnects before the download is complete, the next time the user connects the download will resume.

thanks

John

Think we could script it using the /quiet /noreboot switches, but is does seem a bit "hit and miss" when I do it this way, takes a couple of attempts, on an upgrade does it have to uninstall first?

Hi,

what version are you running?

No need for scripting if you are using client version 4.6 or higher. It should download automatically. If uninstall of the old version and reboot is required it will notify the user and continue install after the reboot. All profiles are saved as well. You need to ensure all files required are on the server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00802d3abf.html

hi,

i want to something very similar and

1) we are nt sure wht all versions vpn client uses so i have to use the notification feature or can i use automatic feature. i.e it will automatically update if the version is 4.6 or it will notify user to go to a url to update

2) The update i want is to get all users for e.g to 4.6 version but also update the pcf file.

3) the installation shd be to silent to users, they just need to click on the url and the rest shd be running background asking them to only reboot

4) how do i create customized installtion, with all the settings i need and leave user with only one click and the installation is complete

thanks

Hi,

You will have to find a way to get the users onto version 4.6. Like you said, use the notification feature and have users go to a url and update manually. Once users have upgraded, you can automatically update the profiles. You can check which version of client are connecting by checking the logs form the concentrator. That will give you an idea of the versions that are out there. You can customise the installation by following the documentions meentioned in my previous post and doing a bit of testing.

Thanks

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: