should i go after CCNP

Unanswered Question
Jul 9th, 2007

I just passed my CCNA and am wondering if i should go after my CCNP right away. i do not work directly with cisco gear and i very rarely get to do anything with the gear at work. I do have several 2950's and a 2600 series i used for ccna. Would you recommend going after my ccnp or waiting until i get a little experience with the equipment in the "real world"

Thanks for the advice.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jcarrabine Mon, 07/09/2007 - 16:59

I'm doing it right now. Read my post "Question for CCNP's and CCIE's". Dude you WILL have to have some serious dedication, and you will probably not retain all of it. I love the information I am learing about. I have (3) 3640 routers and (1) 2924 switch that is usless, and I have passed ONT, and BCMSN so far. Once again I study about 40hrs a week, and have a 40hr a week job. However you may be smarter than me (I sure hope so) and maybe you won't have to put in as much time as I currently am. Good luck in whatever you decide.

rabooth15 Tue, 07/10/2007 - 07:17

I went through your post and i think im in the same boat as you. I get very little hands on with our production gear. we do have test gear that i can mess with though.

how quickly are you going through each test? you said you put 40 hrs a week into studying. I have no clue how you can spend that much time on it outside of work and still have a kid. kudos to you.

jcarrabine Tue, 07/10/2007 - 08:19

chief it ain't easy!!!!

My wife is coming down on me hard. I have done NOTHING this summer but read, research, configure, and do practice tests. I have about a month in each test. That's 160hrs of reading, going to posts and getting info, doing practice tests, asking questions about topics I feel I didn't quite get all the way, and so forth. I spend, as best as I can figure, three time the amount that a Cisco class teaches to get myself ready. Being that I have limited gear, and some of that gear doesn't do everything I need it to I research hard to supplement that shortcoming. Since you have taken and passed the CCNA you know the direction that Cisco takes in their line of questioning now. It is no different with CCNP. They get into the deep dark depths of the technology. Knowing that is an advantage because when I read a chapter I think of previous test and ask myself "what types of questions would Cisco ask about this material". My notes get pretty in depth, but it helps in preparing. If I see something that has a certain number of thing associated to it I flag it as a possible multiple choice answer and make a note. If I see something that requires specific order of commands to setup then I flag it as a possible drag-n-drop question. This doesn't alway work, but as a whole it's been pretty good practice. As a matter of fact I'm reading IPv6 as I take lunch to finish up my BSCI book. I study any chance I get. Seem a bit daunting and sad doesn't it...such is the life. Let me know if I can offer anymore insight. I may not be the BEST resource, but I can provide somewhat of a journal of what my path had been like and what to expect, but I think you now have a pretty good taste of that.

ravishankar.ipv6 Sat, 08/04/2007 - 01:34

clearing ccnp is not so diffuclt task.

n u dont need ne experience in routers....

practice in simulators.......

i will tell u that i cleard my ccnp in just three weeks of fulll time prep....... using sybex publication n boson router simulator......

be clear n ur concepts n u will really achieve that

all the best

jcarrabine Sun, 08/05/2007 - 08:30

I would not trust a response from someone who makes claims such as these and can't even construct a sentence, or spell.

I suspect Ravi is from India so English isn't his everyday language. I don't believe your put down is justified. That being said, I've worked with and known quite a few Indian and Chinese guys who seem to have a knack for studying. I think their schools prepare them better for studying than in the U.S. so they tend to pick up things quickly so I don't doubt his statement. Some guys take 6 months to 1 year to prepare for the CCNA. I took 2.5 months. Everyone is different.

2pparish Mon, 08/06/2007 - 15:07

It depends on what you want.

IF you want to work on Cisco equipment for the majority of your work life, skip the CCNP and go for the CCIE.

If you want to configure routers/switches, but also work on Microsoft/linux networks then maybe you should go for MCSE or Sun certificiation.

It all depends on your career goals.

Don't worry too much about what you work on now. You need to worry more about want you want to work on for the future.

The CCNA is entry level, but will probably help you get an idea of what Cisco is about.

If you want to be able to configure devices for small-medium networks the CCNP might not be a bad idea.

rabooth15 Tue, 08/07/2007 - 06:46

Thanks for all the reply.

I thought the CCNP was a prerequisite for the CCIE?

ddarby1 Tue, 08/07/2007 - 07:42

Not true, perhaps a common misconception.

There are no formal requirements for CCIE.

Due to the difficulty level and cost people have often followed the logical progression: CCNA > CCNP > CCIE

Good advice/post by 2pparish as well I think.

This Discussion