cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS help

a.e.wiggin
Level 1
Level 1

I've been reading up on QoS and wanted to do some testing with it but have run up against a problem on scale.

I wanted to learn how to implement it so I was going to implement both an IntServ and DiffServ model in a small home network but I'm not clear on if this is possible for such a small application. In the end, my goal is to figure out what is best for a small LAN with a few dozen voice, video, and data apps that will send locally as well as outside the LAN.

I've read that QoS (e.g. IntServ) requires several functions on routers and switches along the path like admission control, classification, policing, queuing and scheduling. But say I have all this gear, and one of the hops in the network is done over radio and this radio may have to travel very long distances. Does QoS still work then?

2 Replies 2

Fraser Reid
Level 1
Level 1

QoS will still do its job.

BUT it can never promise to solve all your problems at once .

In order to gain a good service for say , voice , something else has to suffer.

QoS also does not garuantee delivery of the packet - it just prioritises it.

For the above network - if you cannot control all of it then it is probably best to use DiffServ - this is also the most flexible way of changing a network that uses QoS.

Please rate if helps or not

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Generally you can test all QoS features in your lab no problem, you'll just need to make sure that the platforms and IOSs that you are using supports the intended feature, i'll recommend that you use Cisco Feature Navigator, as for the radio connectivity, i don't know what kind of radio connectivity you are talking about, but generally they are characterized with low speeds and high delay which may impact your voice and video traffic, but QoS is functional and can circumvent most of your problems.

I hope that i've been informative.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card