cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Excessive collision

Suwandy.Ong
Level 1
Level 1

Guys.. are there any way to deal with excessive collision?

I typed show interface eth 0 and i got so many collisions and deferred frames.and I typed show controller eth 0 and i got so many excessive collisions and multiple collisions..

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

if you run in half duplex you will get collisions anyway, there is nothing you can do about it.

If you are seeing lots of late collisions that suggests that one end of the link thinks it has a different speed/duplex than the other end of link.

If both of your interfaces are capable of full duplex then hardcode both to full duplex at either 10 or 100.

Alternatively you could set both to auto but auto-negotiation does not always work.

HTH

Jon

so, it's just a matter of duplexing, then? If i change it to full-duplexing, then it'll be alright?

Thanks for the kind reply...

Yes, if both sides of the link are operating at full duplex there will be no collisions.

patrickvanham
Level 1
Level 1

If the interface that is showing collisions is a basic ethernet (as suggested by th designation eth0) you'd probably need to set up the other end as speed 10 and duplex half, as a basic ethernet isn't capable of more.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card