cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 8.0.2 WebVPN, rdp session Java problems,

hindsc
Level 1
Level 1

We are encountering issues with launching RDP session through the clientless SSL VPN.

Sun Java version 1.4.2(15) works

Sun Java version 1.5.0(7) works

Sun Java version 1.6.0(1) does not work

The telnet/ssh Java client plugin works with all of the above Java versions we have tested.

(When the RDP session starts using version 1.6.0(1) the connection is made but the window is uncontrollable and permanently minimised).

Has anyone else seen Java problems ? Any advice much appreciated,

cheers

Chris

9 Replies 9

Not applicable

To configure access rules for ICMP traffic that terminates at a security appliance interface, use the icmp command. To remove the configuration, use the no form of this command.

icmp {permit | deny} ip_address net_mask [icmp_type] if_name

MaseBarnes
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running Java Build 1.6.0_01-b06 without any problems.

But is there a chance to display local printers within the RDP session?

MB

j.vonk
Level 1
Level 1

Exactly the same here, i decided not to support Java V6.x for now.

Another problem i found is that the used ProperJavaRDP software has stopped development somewhere around 2005. It does not support the Session Directory when used in an Win2003 ent. environment so loadbalancing your Terminal servers is in my opinion impossible.

My workaround at this time is to pull a single TS out of the CSS loadbalancing pool and publish it as a standalone TS for webVPN users.

I found that the rdesktop1.5 project does support the Session Directory but i can't seem to find any documentation how to create a plug-in for our ASA's from it.

All help appreciated, sorry i have no answer for the Java 6.x (for this moment.) but i thought let's keep it together here ;-)

Kind regards

fheissenhuber
Level 1
Level 1

I have encountered the same problem and I'm using Sun Java 1.6.0. When I use the rdp client to connect to a Windows XP or Server 2003, I see only a minimized window. It is not possible to resize it.

However the Java Console shows that the connection was established:

3703 [Thread-8] INFO net.propero.rdp.Secure - 128 Bit Encryption enabled

4047 [Thread-8] INFO net.propero.rdp - Connection successful

Cheers,

Florian

fheissenhuber
Level 1
Level 1

See Bug ID CSCsj80158

Description

WebVPN RDP Plugin opens as a small popup that cant be used with JRE 1.6

Symptom:

- When using clientless webvpn and attempting to make an RDP session with the RDP plugin installed, the popup window comes up very small and can't be used.

- This is only seen when using JRE 1.6.

Conditions:

- Install JRE 1.6

- Install RDP plugin on ASA

- Connect with clientless webvpn

- Attempt to create an RDP session

Workaround:

- Only known workaround is to use JRE 1.5

mlouis
Level 1
Level 1

Were are using an SSL VPN Solution using RDP plugin on an ASA running 8.0 code. We are using 1.4.x and 1.5.x versions of Java on all machines. 1.6 as advertised, does not work.

However, here is our issue. When the properjavaRDP window opens up in the browser it only displays the RDP session in 800x600 resolution. This is far too small for most of our users.

Is there a way to modify how the plug-in executes on the ASA to allow it to use a larger screen resolution, full screen would be ideal but 1024x768 or greater would be great.

Cisco notes that they do not modify the plugin but do they allow their code to modify how it executes?

Options from the how-to for pc desktops allow me to modify how it executes.

java net.propero.rdp.Rdesktop -g 800x600 -l WARN appserver

Any ideas?

Try using something like this for your URL, this works for us.

rdp:///?geometry=1280x1024&bpp=16

Cool. Thanks.

litouch
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco really upset me... actually after I found this bug, I dumped this feature. As you know this Java plugin has not been updated for a long time, but Cisco uses it as a solution... I can't believe it.

Now I use RDP smart tunnel to let end users terminal to intranet servers. Not too much bug till now.

But I have to say Cisco is not good in this field!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card