Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing with Router

Hi.

My customer possesss one load balancing on the 2 routers (to router and to router B) each one with one link (to router, MPLS, to router B, satellite), today the balancing is per-packet (1 it to router and 1 it to router B). The customer want to eliminate this load balancing, and asked to me if router (with some protocol) can substitute it, however leaving to router for MPLS and another one for it saw satellite, thus it would have 2 links, 2 equipment. Somebody knows if it is possible?

Thanks

9 Replies 9

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

I am a little confused on what you exactly want to achieve.

If you want to remove per packet loadbalancing, you can choose per-destination load balancing which is cisco's default.

if the idea is to have device level redundancy and one of the links terminating on each router, then you can run a routing protocol and achieve the desired type of loadbalancing.

Things would be more clear if you post a network topology and let us know what exactly you want to achieve.

HTH

Narayan

Hi

It does not have problem to change the type of balancing.

See the attach.

is it a switch connecting to the two routers or some kind of loadbalancer?

Narayan

Hi

Today, the switch connecting to the load balancer; without load balancer,

we will have that to connect switch to two routers.

identifying the load balancer

If I understand you correctly, you want to remove the loadbalancer, and the hosts on your network still send their traffic to a default gateway on the local segment. Somehow both routers need to pick up the traffic. HSRP can do that, but it will not do load-balancing.

Can you put both links in a single router? That way the hosts on your local segment will still send their traffic to a default gateway (the router), and the router can do equal-cost loadbalancing across the two links. Will that work for you?

Otherwise it will become very complicated and separate loadbalancers would then not be a bad solution after all :-)

Hi

I think in HSRP with balancing using routing protocol, but the customer does not want 2 links in same routers , therefore it also wants redundancia of equipment.

You can use GLBP instead of HSRP if you need loadbalancing

Narayan

But with GLBP a router work like active and other like backup, it is not this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: