Unanswered Question
Jul 10th, 2007

Hi, I'm completely brand new to this. I'm interesting in obtaining my CCNA. A friend of the family works for cisco and told me that if I get my CCNA he will get me in front of the right people. I"m currently going to college in my second semester(Not very far along) for computer science and am consider stoppping in order to study for the CCNA. But my problem is, I'm not sure how to go about it. I've noticed a lot of people on this board are self taught. Coming from my backgroud, which is nothing when it comes to networks, is self study plausible? If not, what other options (Specifics) are there? I've checked thed link (Global learning partner locator) and there doesn't seem to be anyone in my area that trains for CCNA specifically. I can go to like Everest College, or one of these proprietery schools to train, but I don't want to waste time and money if I can do it myself. Any recommendations for a newbie? Thanks!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dgahm Tue, 07/10/2007 - 15:47

Jesse,

The self study route is easier if you have some background in networking, but I think your individual learning style, and aptitude for the material, is more important. Do you do well learning on your own, or do you need that instructor up front? There is a ton of self study material available for the CCNA, so why not head down to Barnes and Noble, buy a study guide, give it a try, and see how you do.

Check out the CCNA prep center for additional info: http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/PrepCenter?page=main

Please use the pulldown menu to rate helpful posts.

Dave

lworley250 Wed, 07/11/2007 - 17:35

Hey Newbie:

Don't quit school!!! You will gain a knowledge beyond many if you complete the computer science degree. I took the two test path which will not be available after Aug.1 2007. The tests are very challenging. I did the networking academy through St Pete College in Clearwater Fl. Even when you complete the program you will still need to study and fully master the concepts for the test. Good luck to you!

Actions

This Discussion