cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voicemail without Exchange

cyoungblut
Level 1
Level 1

I am doing a new install of Unity (4.2) (MCS-7825-I2/Server 2000). We currently do have a separate exchange box (Exchange 2000/Server 2000). Most users do not have speakers (some phone users are not computer users either.) and I am not sure I want them to be getting voicemails in their inbox anyway. Two questions...can I install just as a voicemail server without the integration to our exchange server? and secondly...if I do integrate to our Exchange server can i choose only to have certain users get their voicemail in Outlook? Thanks

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can install Unity as VM only and in this case the message store will be either Exchange or Domino local to the Unity server. You can install a run time copy of Exchange on the Unity server itself with this deployment model.

TO have select users get voicemails in their emails you can install IMAP licenses and point their Outlook clients to a separate voicemail inbox. (This is the downside of not having Unified messaging).

Hope that helps

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

So if I go through and setup unity to work with our existing Exchange server then all users will get their voicemails forwarded to email? Or can I block those?

Are the voicemails themselves still stored on the Unity box in the data store? (and the .wav file just forwarded to email?)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: