cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP and MPLS Issue

gregwoodson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a provider edge router that is vrf aware using eBGP to link the MPLS network together. This provider edge connects to one of our core routers. The core is connected to another core which uses iBGP to connect the MPLS network.

When I do a show route on the provider edge- it shows the next hop as the route for the subnets. I can also ping this hop thru the vrf.

However, from the remote core side (iBGP) it shows the provider edge as the next hop, and cannot ping that throught the vrf. Thus, sites connected to the remote core cannot see the ones connected to the provider edge, even though the routes are all in place, with the exception of this hop issue.

I am told that this is an iBGP issue- but do not know how to resolve it. Any ideas?

Greg

2 Replies 2

keegan.holley
Level 1
Level 1

It sounds like you either have to redistribute the IP of the next hop into your IGP or configure next hop self on your edge router. Assuming that the route is in teh bgp table it is not being installed in the routing table becauase the next hop is not reachable.

This issue has been resolved. It was a combination of neighbor next-hop configs as well as ospf distribution.

Thanks!