Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade FR to 8Mbps

yavuz.ozdemir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like upgrade the Bandwith on my Frame relay router 2600 which is in back to back (Serial) with the router 3600 which is working in ATM. I know the FR limitation is 2Mbps and I would like to upgrade to 8Mbps. I think use FR Multilink or maybe ATM switching. Which protocol you advise me? Have you a better idea? Thanks in advance.

Yavuz

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

can you explain better how the routers are connected ?

I have a router only for the traffic internet which is the 2600(Frame relay) and it's connected in B2B (serial cable) to the router 3600 which is working in ATM.

The 3600 make FR switching with convertion FR<->ATM. But now the Bandwith (BW) has to be upgrade to 8Mbps. The 3600 has also PVC to inter-site. Tell me if you need more info.

Thanks for your quick reply

Yavuz

Hi,

well you have few choices. First would be adding more serial ports on both 2600 and 3600 routers. But this would be probably expensive considering these routers are already quite old and slow.

Then is also possible to tunnel Fr over IP with GRE, that reqires enterprise image.

Another choice, place HSSI or T3 or E3 interface on both routers, but as above this expensive so such old routers.

So I would consider getting a bigger router, more powerful on which you can consolidate all the functionality into a single box. Like a 3825 or 45.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Ok, thank you.

Good luck and do not forget to rate useful posts !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card