cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MOH sounds bad from an external call compared to internal call

thomuff
Level 3
Level 3

When I call in from an ouside line, it seems that my music on hold fades in and out and doesn't sound as good as when I am calling from an internal phone at another location. Does anyone know why? This is slowing becoming a really big issue. or can you help me with the step of recording an music on hold file. I am using a default right now.

5 Replies 5

snooter
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is a pretty old topic, but I'm fighting the same issue.  Internally the hold music is perfectly clear.  External callers can hear it, ok a times, but a majority of the time it's cutting in and out and garbled.  Can't figure it out..  I've tried importing the file with the transcoder set at different levels but it really doesn't seem to make a difference for the sound quality external callers get.  ??

We're on CUCM 6.1 - using a wav file that I'm importing.

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

There isn't much you can do about this.  Search Google for "music on hold quality cell phone" to get an idea.

The bottom line is that cell phones use special codecs that are highly optimized for speech using low bandwidth.

If your music on hold is speech rather than music it will sound better on cell phones.

If you are really serious and want to try to improve it, you may have some success working with a professional music on hold recording company that has experience encoding music on hold files for optimal quality on phone systems.

good luck,

Brandon

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Just a little more info, the bad quality appears to be just on cell phones.  Doing tests from external land lines, the quality is just fine.  I suppose there's nothing a guy can do to fix that and keep the MOH an internal service.

I'm on CUCM 6.1 and codecs are all g711.  Nothing fancy in the call flow.  Got a PRI that hooks up to our 2811 VG and it's a straight shot to our CM's.

Thanks for the info guys.

alanc3141592654
Level 1
Level 1

As the previous post stated, this is normally due to the codec used. Codecs will compress standard voice really well, But not so good with music.

Try changing the Codec, But you could get a bandwidth hit.

lusandi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can you provide us a complete call flow description?

Are using CUCM or CME?

if you are using CUCM can you provide me the screenshot of the MOH server.

if you are using CME and you are streaming the MOH from the router.

Can you provide me a show run of the router.

Also if you can provide me a better explanation about who is putting who on hold, and how is the held party, and who is having issues hearing the MOH, it would be really appreciated.

Regards,

Luis Sandi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: