cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA generated syslog sent over site-to-site tunnel

sean
Level 3
Level 3

I have a site-to-site tunnel terminated on an ASA 5520. I have syslog logging to an internal server, and I have setup a syslog server on the other side of the tunnel. I have created my acls for interesting traffic and I cannot get the ASA to send the self-generated syslog messages across the tunnel. Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

Here is the document to accomplish this with Pix 6 which should help with ASA 7.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a0080094469.shtml

What device is the other end of the tunnel? Do you want to post the configs?

The problem I am having is not from passthru, it is from device origin going across the tunnel. I have provided a quick visio to help explain this request.

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

JPEG would be helpful, I do not have visio.

Also, can you please send me the output of sh logging from the ASA which needs to send the syslog to the remote side.

What is the IP address of the remote syslog server?

What does the encryption access-list look like.

Thanks

Gilbert

sean, yes this is exactly as I understood from your first post.

In the .doc I referenced, the remote pix is syslogging to a server across the vpn tunnel. As long as the traffic from the outside interface of the remote ASA and the local syslog server are defined as interesting traffic in the vpn and the logging is properly configured at the remote ASA, there should be no problem. I do this today from serveral remote pixes. The source address of the interesting traffic from the remote ASA would be the outside interface address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card