cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACS for authenticating XP login?

mfowler
Level 1
Level 1

It is possible to use the Cisco Secure Access Control Server to authenticate XP users logging into the local workstation? Instead of an AD domain we would like to use an ACS server to authenticate users. Is this possible?

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Yes , you can set up ACS using dot1x authentication. User will be prompted to authenticate for loggin to a network.

Is it a wired or wireless network ?

Regards,

~JG

It is a wired network. Will the authentication use the login screen typically used when logging in XP?

Thanks.

- Matt

Matt,

No , that is not possible. Machine authentication is not supported with local ACS database.

Regards,

~JG

With remote access (remote Desktop) would it be possible to use ACS for user authentication?

Thanks.

- Matt

Matt,

Answer is still no. It is not possible.

Regards,

~JG

Is there a situation where I can use Cisco ACS to access resources on an XP workstation?

thanks for your replys!

Not directly, you have to configure some NAS in between like pix, but again that would not be resource based access. PIX would check IP and then end out authentication request to ACS.

In other words. Answer is No. I cannot think of any scenario where ACS can be configured resource based authentication.

Thanks

parminder

Sorry to say , that is again not possible. ACS is not designed to do these kind of job.

Regards

Thanks again, I appreciate your responses.

Can ACS be used to authenticate access to a web page on a server running IIS?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: