Views
Helpful
Replies

USB on ACS 4.1 Appliance

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon all,

We have yet to power on our ACS appliances so we are somewhat concerned of our upcoming upgrade. Does the USB ports on teh Appliance work as other USB ports do? I guess my question would be, if I backup my current acs box and put the file on a memory stick, can I sneaker net it over to my new appliance and then restore the file to the new appliance?

Thanks

Dwane

7 Replies 7

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

And do we need a plugin on our Active Directory server to connect to the unknown datbase?

Thanks for your help, JG

Hi,

No, nothing is to be plugged in the USB. You need to install remote agent on the member server. ACS appliance will talk to that remote agent and will map the AD.

Check out this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_soft/csacsapp/csapp40/rase40/index.htm

Regards,

~JG

Please rate if that helps

JG,

I am sounding rather ignorant now, I guess. This Remote Agent, where does it get installed, and does this mean we will not be able to connect to our unknown database without having an agent installed on the AD servers. I guess I am a little confused.

I am trying to follow this html doc you sent and by the directions, it looks like they are saying the agents need to be isntalled on ACS devices.

Thanks for all your help. I will read on.

Dwane

The Remote Agent is installed on the Windows DCs. You install it from one of the CDs that come with the ACS SE. After installing it you can configure the ACS to point to the remote agent, it will then be able to talk to the AD database and you can configure the Windows Database settings on the ACS.

Hi Dwane,

Actually this is how it works,

user---->NAS---->ACS---->RA---->DC

Remote agent : It will be installed on the member server of a domain or you can also install it on a domain controller itself.

Now question comes why remote agent.

We know that acs appliance is not a part of windows domain, so inorder for it to communicate to AD we will a middle man that can pass on request. Using RA acs can communicate to AD and fetch user information.

Hope that helps !

Regards,

~JG

parmsing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

USB port are not enabled on ACS appliances. Those are kept for future use.

Thanks

Parminder

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: