cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Optical Fiber Backbone Problem.

jaykishan
Level 1
Level 1

I work in an Oil Drilling Company. We have an oil field that is very large and has different office blocks at variable distances with each other. The distance doesnt exceed 2KM. Fiber Cable used is Multi Mode Fiber.

I am planning to connect them all to one central site. The Problem is that i borrowed a couple of SFP's and tested them in my Head Office. But they were producing huge losses. Please tell me what things i need to check. Also suggest any other solutions that might work in this situation.

Jay Kishan

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Jay

Can you post the SFP types which you are trying to use over there ?

regds

Hi Prem,

I used GLC-GE-100FX on both sides. But the switch i used was from 3Com. Do you think this is a compatibility issue. I think this should happen because i have used IBM SFP,s on 3com switches and they worked well. But they support short distances only thats why i cant use them here. My requirement is atleast 1.5KM. Can you suggest me some thing else. We use 3Com switches but 3Com SFP's were also not performing well on their own switches. What do you think could be the problem here. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jay Kishan

Hi Jay

Are you seeing any error logs in your switches related to this SFP or Link ?

Though i m not sure about the log availability in 3 COM that mite help in decoding the error message..

You can also refer the below link on different kinda SFP's available and the max distance it can support...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/products_data_sheet0900aecd801f931c.html

AFAIK and as per my experience i have seen SFP compatibility issues with Cisco switches in which if you try to install other vendor SFP's it will get onto err disable mode.

You can verify the logs on the switch and make sure that you are rectifying the same...

Also instead of FX did you try connecting with LX i feel it goes upto 10KM..

regds

Hi Prem,

No there is no log generation in 3Com switches as such. But there were PING breaks (Request Timed Out) errors while i was using the Cisco SFP. Thanks for the link but i have seen it already and have searched for the solution based on SFP's in much detail. The only thing i thought might be creating problem is whether Cisco SFP's works fine with 3Com switches or not. Do let me know if you have some idea about that.

One more thing, i am using MultiMode Fiber which has the maximum support of 2KM. You are talking about SingleMode Fiber which goes upto 10KM. Anyways, Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Jay Kishan

Hi Jay

As i have mentioned in my prev reply itself i have seen the behavior of other party SFP's with CISCO Switches and the result...

Not sure though about 3Com Switch with other Vendor SFP...

regds

Hi Prem,

Can you please do me a favor? Can you please ask some one you know who has used 3Com or has some idea about the situation i am in? May be some thing might come up that i am not aware of. I will be really thankful to you. Anyways, thanks for your help Prem.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: