Unanswered Question
Jul 11th, 2007
User Badges:

Hi All,

please tell me what type of cable is exactly required for connecting a Router's Ethernet port to a Switch's Ethernet port.....

I found on some discussions and forums on other sites that Cross Over cable is required....BUT

I am using a 2621 Router with a D-Link switch and I am connecting it with a Straight-through cable and it is working fine....

this straight cable can also connect a PC to Switch...

please guide.

Thanks in advance


  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jon Marshall Wed, 07/11/2007 - 23:43
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

    Founding Member

  • Cisco Designated VIP,

    2017 LAN, WAN

Hi Junaid

Router to switch - straight-thru

PC to switch - straight-thru

Router to Router - crossover

switch to switch - crossover

PC to router - crossover



mahmoodmkl Thu, 07/12/2007 - 00:02
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more


As jon said u need to use a straight cable to connect switch and router,and same for switch to PC.




This Discussion