cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bonjour / iChat working across wlc 4402

greg.murray
Level 1
Level 1

I have a L3 switched LAN (Cat4510 at the core with 3560 to the edge), and a WLC 4402 [s/w 4.0.217.0] providing wireless access. There is a multitude a PC's and MACs that sit on the wired and wireless network.

I currently am having issues getting a Apple tool called Bonjour working across the wireless network.

I have done some reading and from what I can gather it uses mdns (which uses udp 5353 / 5354). I have enabled Multicast Routing on the Cat4510 and enabled on the WLC 4402 Ethernet Multicast Mode with a group address of 224.0.0.1, however still cannot get Bonjour clients talking.

Admittedly the blogs I have read and Tech pages on Apple do not give up anymore info than this. Has anyone had experience or come across this before?

6 Replies 6

brispin
Level 1
Level 1

First ensure that the bonjour client you are using is a CCX compliant device. This client should be CCX compliant in order to work with cisco Infrastructure devices.

This link should help.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr46/pr147/partners_pgm_partners_0900aecd800a7907.html

shaggygodbean
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever find the solution to this issue. I use a 3750 stack as my core with 2960 & 2950 edge switches. The 3750 is routing the bonjour protocol throughout the campus in its originating subnet but not to our other subnets (13 of them) Does anyone have any thoughts on how I route this so it works across vlans? Running 12.2(4)IP-BASE

sabhasin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

there've been a ton of multicast related enhancements in 4.2.x.x software release on the controllers (where the controller is more multicast aware, with MGIDs, and multicast snooping is supported. Having said that, try upgrading your controllers to 4.2.99.0, and set the multicast mode on the controller to "multicast" with an address from the private multicast address space (that's the address where APs join, and listen for this traffic). I've had bonjour (iChat, iTunes sharing, etc) working just fine with these settings.

Not applicable

Not applicable

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Found something interesting on this.

Apparently, apples do not like multicast using IANA Administratively Scoped Block range of 239.0.0.0-239.255.255.255.

I was using 239.0.1.100 and nothing was connecting, I then changed it to 235.0.0.1 and all is well.

Go figure.

ref: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_white_paper09186a00802d4643.shtml#wp1011111

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: