cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA managment interface

matthewmphc
Level 1
Level 1

what do I need to do to manage my ASA via this interface? I put an ip address on it, and plugged it into a switch that was on the same subnet as my workstation, but I could not ping it or get to it. How do I manage this, is it via telnet,ssh, ??. what am I missing?

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Matthew

After you put an IP address on the management interface that is reachable then you have several options to access it. You configure the management protocols and the addresses from which it will accept a connection for management. You can use HTTPS, or SSH, or Telnet to access the ASA.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

the issue I am having is when I try to configure telnet or ssh with the usual command to define the address range I want to manage it, it doesn't give me the management interface as an option, it only gives me the other interfaces (inside,outside,etc). That is what is tripping me up.

Could you post your config?

Attached is the output of the show run in addition it shows that the management interface is not available for selection when I try to define the telnet parameters.

Try this...

interface Management0/0

nameif management

security-level 100

management-only

telnet 0 0 management

Please rate helpful posts.

Update, ignore my post below. I figured it out. I had left off the nameif so it wasn't giving me that as a choice when trying to define my telnet subnets. Dumb mistake on my part. Thanks for the help.

I still don't see a "management" interface as an option when typing in the telnet 0 0 (after entering your other commands also). maybe by specifying management-only it automatically allows telnet to it? I also tried ssh and http and that doesn't give the management interface as an option either.

My post above should do the trick. I assume you named the interface "management"?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card