Views
Helpful
Replies

How to determine the coverage of a WAP

palukuri77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are going to start a new office where we intend to provide Wireless access to the users. Does anyone here have a good reference which I can use for calculating the number of access-points, antennas required based on the dimensions of the office area? Pleae suggest asap.

5 Replies 5

You should do a site survey there is a nice tool called surveyor (airmagnet), is a easy tool that gives you the basic information for wireless deployment.

Thanks for your prompt response. But am at a remote site and have no physical access to the new office. I have to suggest the model of WAP and antenna to be purchased.

Please help me in providing any reference document which has some statistical info to suggest WAP quantity based on the physical dimensions of the office.

Ok, it depends on the office physical contrucction(the walls), if you have a concret walls its very dificult to implement wireless, you will need more access points. Coverge, acces point like 1131, 1100, they give like 30 Mts of coverage.

Now users, every access point works well with 12 users aprox. (the data sheet says more...)

I hope this result useful.

mariam-nh
Level 1
Level 1

You can use a network stambler download it free no cost for this kind of work that is what am using here for all our 36 connections for the manufacturing plant.

Take 2 identical physical rooms. With the same number of desks, cabinets, everything has the same number. The RF behavior while similar will be different. The individuals may move furniture around, building standards may require metal studs instead of wood, etc etc. All this plays into your design..

Can I recommend an antenna and power for your installation.. Yes... Will it be relatively problem free... Possibly, but i doubt it. Stock 'rubber duck' antenna with maximum power will likely get your clients associated.

Is there RF already present from a neighbor? Will your maximum power setting cause the wireless to extend to the outside of your facility? Does the environment create a situation where multipath will be a serious issue?

These questions and many more can not be answered by the limited information you provided. Nor can they be answered unless your on the ground. Wireless is extremely complex, and doesn't have the luxuries associated with hard copper(Cat5/6) connection. You will either spend 8 (off wall estimate) hours planning this install or 80 troubleshooting and dealing with upset users.

All of us on this forum will assist you, however I feel you need to know that we are somewhat flying blind. Everything looks great on paper, onces it materializes its a whole different ball game.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: