Views
Helpful
Replies

Order of router operation

Manoj Wadhwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I would like to know what is the order in which the router processes a packet. For eg. when a router receives a packet, it would check the routing table, ACL, QOS, NAT etc ... What is the order in which these operations are carried out. The one that i found from cisco website seems to be specific to only NAT & QoS operations but I would like to know in general. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Manoj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Manoj,

This link should help.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080133ddd.shtml

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

The link that you provided only mentions NAT order of operation. But in general, if there is NAT, QOS, ACL's etc configured, which one takes precedene first and how the order of operations goes on. This is what i am looking for. Thanks!

Regards,

Manoj

Manoj,

The link actually tells all the operations that a router performs when a packet enters it and not just when NAT is configured.

As per the document ACL will be the 3rd in order whether nat is configured or not.

If NAT is configured then that action would be taken only after all the above actions are already taken by the router

HTH

Narayan

Hi Amit/ Narayan,

I was a bit lethargic to go through the complete document. I have found the info. in the page now. Thx for your help guys.

Regards,

Manoj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card