Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5510 Rack Mounting for Proper Cooling

d8k2s9g2k
Level 1
Level 1

Hello-

I have an ASA 5510 device mounted in an APC rack with the face-plate forward so that the network cables plug into the back. It appears to me that the front of the device has both an intake fan and an exhaust fan all in the front. Most if not all normal server equipment intakes air in the front and then exhaust air in the rear for proper removal. Because of this funky cisco fan layout the front of the device tends to push out hot air into the front of the rack resulting in less than optimal cooling.

I would like to know what experience people have had to most efficiently cool the ASA 5500 series hardware in a rack configuration. Would it be better to place the rear of the device to the front of the rack? Does anyone know how the fans are organized?

Thanks,

Rick

3 Replies 3

Shannon Sutter
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem with our ASA5520.

We installed it on a brand new APC rack and we relaized the front panel is blowing hot air on the Cold air aisle (instead towards the back or inside of our APC NOC).

A solution would be to install the ASA backwards, meaning will have to have the cables in the fron instead of the back.

Any other alternatives? like reverse the fans??

If you know of any please let me know.

Jacob Samuel
Level 1
Level 1

HI All,

I am experiancing the same Problem with my IPS 4255 also, all these boxes (ASA5540, IPS 4255) are blowing hot air. I think the HW structure, power supply used for ASA and IPS both are same.

I am thinking to put 1RU space between the Boxes in the next time.

If any other suggestion please..

Thanks

Jacob

can anyone confirm this?, I have been trying their support and they don't have an idea....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: