cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

making a ip telephony network

malamigo55
Level 1
Level 1

hi everybody i wanna help making my first voip telephony network i only want to make calls between phones in the network i dont wanna make calls to external phones only internal calls so i m using a cisco 2811 but i dont know if i need another hardware some card i dontknow to make my voip network i only wanna know the hardware needed i can take care of the configuration so please help me

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello, as I was saying before, when there are no ANALOG phones or connections to the PSTN, The PVDM2 module is not needed.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate all useful posts using the scrollbox below!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

you just need the phones now and are ready to make calls, search CCO for "CME" and start reading the documentation, just the basic and few minuts it will be working.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it helps!

so you mean i only need the 2811 router (im working with this), a switch (can it be from another brand??) and a cisco IOS that supports voip and CME

im all rigth???

You only need:

Router running an IOS with CME. 2811 will run that IOS fine as I have a few of these in the office for this purpose.

Any Switch will be fine, but depending on switch features you might lose some IP Phone benefits.. such as power over ethernet.

And Cisco IP phones.

thanks you i wont be using a cisco switch i hope it will be fine, a simple switch no special feature, i think i will use a liksys or a d-link switch

so by the way i see that cisco offer a voice bundle with this switch it comes with more ram and flash and so it comes with some card named PVDM2

what is the purpose of that card and why do they include it in the voice bundle, the only card they include only ram flash and this card.

this is the final question and thanks everybody lets make well lets buy the things for make the voip

PVDM's are:

High-Density Packet Voice Digital Signal Processor Modules

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016e845.html>

click on the above link and things should become somewhat clearer we hope.

hth,

Ajaz

Hi,

The PVDM2 is a DSP card needed for interfacing analog phones, or lines to the PSTN.

So if you intention is not use only VoIP calls, and perhaps use an ITSP for circuits, you don't need it.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

no really i will only connect cisco ip phones in my LAN only like five phones but all in my own LAN in same the router is.

thats my question do i need that card, i dont know i will be using only cisco ip phones the cisco 2811 router and a d-link switch to cennect the phones

Router ---- Switch ------ IP PHONES

computers and

servers

Hello, as I was saying before, when there are no ANALOG phones or connections to the PSTN, The PVDM2 module is not needed.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate all useful posts using the scrollbox below!

thanks very much but by the way i dont need a cisco switch to make the cisco ip phones got to work?? im correct because a cisco router and switch for this is too expensive

No you don't need a cisco switch for the phones to work. However I suggest you use a switch with PoE because the phone's power supply is a nuisance. Linksys makes nice switches and they are cheap.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

thats you helped me a lot with this, i didnt know how to begin with this no i think i will use a converter for the outlet to a PoE so i will use the something like a converter

Watch out, PoE injectors are expensive, your best choice is a PoE switch.

Grad to know it helped, thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: