cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4507R Sup Failover alert

trackjg24
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to setup an SNMP trap or alert whenever I have a 4507R have a Supervisor Failover event. I can't find anywhere in Cisco documentation where there is a SNMP trap to to send my monitoring applications (Solorwinds & NNM) any alerts.

Has anyone tried creating alerts for this type of thing. We do get alerts for the power supplies when they failover, just not the sups.

3 Replies 3

carenas123
Level 5
Level 5

I think Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series supports dual supervisor engines with 30- to 50-second failover.

For more information please click following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/custcosw/ps1846/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080192f3d.html#1039899

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

During an active supervisor 'death' and subsequent failover to the standby, no messages related to redundancy are ever sent. Several messages related to connectivity being restored (link up, ospf loading, etc.) are sent, but thats it.

If the switch fails over, or if the standby has problems, there does not seem to be any way to alert NMS systems that there is a problem.There are no alerts sent that your system is no longer redundant. All the messages are either local log only, or only send if the active sup is fully functional and connected when the issues occur.

The only way we would know is if a knowledgeable engineer connected to the switch after some anomalous event, and manually checked for redundancy status.The ramification is that the only way to verify we are still fully redundant on a switch is to periodically check it with manual commands.

A small variant of the below messages shows up on the newly active supervisor right after switchover.

%PFREDUN-SP-STDBY-6-ACTIVE: Initializing as ACTIVE processor

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Yeah I know the commands to manually check reduancy like "sh redundancy". However our mangement wants to be able to get a single trap or alert to tell our NOC whenever a failover occurs so they can take the corrective measures to get the failed part replaced.

I may just make a Ciscoworks script to run the command on a daily basis and the report is e-mailed to the NOC to review on a daily basis. Yes we will see up/down traps come from the switch as well in the event of a failover as well.

Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card