Views
Helpful
Replies

informing administrator via sms

hamedyazdigss
Level 1
Level 1

Dr sir

i want to know is it possible to inform administrator via SMS when one interface is down. if else how we can be inform administrator about the status of the routers.

regards

hamed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Hamed, [Pls rate if Helps]

I hope you require Microsoft SMS Server insalled in your network in which you have a feature to Poll the Network Interfaces Status. If the Interface is DOWN means there is an feature to send a SMS from the Server to inform respective Administrator about the Status.

Directly from Router is not Possible.

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Hamed, [Pls rate if Helps]

I hope you require Microsoft SMS Server insalled in your network in which you have a feature to Poll the Network Interfaces Status. If the Interface is DOWN means there is an feature to send a SMS from the Server to inform respective Administrator about the Status.

Directly from Router is not Possible.

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Dear sir

thank you for your kind reply.i want to know if i install Microsoft SMS Server in my network can i define my routers interface to it in order if the interface is down send SMS to the Administrator.

please let me know your comment.

Best Regards,

Hamed

HI Hameed,

Yes you can too.

But, if you can give me sometime i can check for the same & provide your the necessary INFO.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi dear Sir

thank you so much.as you mentioned i am wating your kind information.

Best Regards.

Hamed

Hamed,

I have used the same in one of my customer premises where they were using the Microsoft SMS server which was connected to their exchange server as well. We had setup the Cellphones number as the exchange account and when the exchange server was getting an alert it was passing it to the SMS server to inform the administrator via SMS.

NMS servers doesnot have the option to fit in the cellphone number. My cell number was used as an email account like +919812345678@abc.com. The same address was set in the NMS as to sent the alerts via email. Whenever the alert was generated by the NMS it was sent to the exchange server which was relaying to the SMS server and in turn it was sent as an SMS to the administrator's cellphone.

It was Just a small note that I wanted to share with you..

-amit singh

I Recently attended a Cisco seminar where i was exposed to the the new cisco feature (Embedded event Manager) which can send an email directly from the device itself.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6815/products_qanda_item0900aecd803b1169.shtml

I know that it works with a 6500 but have no idea when that wil be extended as an IOS feature into all the devices

Maybe Amit can share more light on this :-)

Narayan

Hi Narayan

so many thanks for your kind reply.i checked exactly link that you meantioned,but i could not find something that related to sending SMS.i am looking how router's can inform administartor by the SMS.for example when the interface is down automatically router send the SMS.i will be happy if you let me know your comment.

best regards

Hamed

HI Hameed,

Please see the post of Amit Singh for easy/quick clarification on your Question.

Thanks to Amit Singh ! !

Posted by: asingh2 - Systems Engineer, CISCO SYSTEMS - Jul 13, 2007, 10:58am PST

Hamed,

I have used the same in one of my customer premises where they were using the Microsoft SMS server which was connected to their exchange server as well. We had setup the Cellphones number as the exchange account and when the exchange server was getting an alert it was passing it to the SMS server to inform the administrator via SMS.

NMS servers doesnot have the option to fit in the cellphone number. My cell number was used as an email account like +919812345678@abc.com. The same address was set in the NMS as to sent the alerts via email. Whenever the alert was generated by the NMS it was sent to the exchange server which was relaying to the SMS server and in turn it was sent as an SMS to the administrator's cellphone.

It was Just a small note that I wanted to share with you..

-amit singh

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: