cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

pinging between # Vlans

valides007
Level 1
Level 1

After you do the InterVlan configuration (ex. vlan2 and vlan3), should you be able to ping a device in vlan 3 from a device in vlan 2?

I'm trying to ping the device, no response.. what am i missing here?

9 Replies 9

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

From where you did try to ping? From PC or from the switch itself?

Normally you don't have to configure anything out of the ip addresses, because the device will see both subnets as directly connected. If you correctly set up the hosts (IP, mask, gw) then you don't have to have any problem.

Krisztian

Hi,

Please share your config and we shall be in a much better position to answer your query.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Here is what i did:

switch3560(config)#int vlan 2

switch3560(config-if)#ip address 10.1.20.1 255.255.255.0

switch3560(config-if)# no shut

switch3560(config)#int vlan 3

switch3560(config-if)#ip address 10.1.30.1 255.255.255.0

switch3560(config-if)# no shut

switch3560(config)#ip routing

i have a device (device1) on vlan 2 with an IP of 10.1.20.10 and a device (device2) on vlan 3 with an IP of 10.1.30.10.

when i ping device2 from device1 i get destination unreachable. i'm assuming the intervlan is not working..???

Hi,

Just worndering if you have enabled the IP Routing?

I have had a similar situation in the past, only to know later that I didnt enable IP Routing.

Switch(config)# ip routing

Please try the above command and let us know

HTH,

Please rate if it helps

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

well if you check my previous answer, you see that the last command was ip routing.

I got at a point where i can't find any solution, and i'm sure it is very simple.

i have this final try: is there a different between making no shut on one interface or making it on a range of interfaces, for ex.:

switch(config)#int range vlan 2-10

switch(config-if)#no shut

or

switch(config)#int vlan

switch(config-if)#no shut

Hi,

Sorry I missed the last line.

This is really surprising.

Could you please do a trace from the hosts and also ping both the hosts from router?

Moreover, if you could enable debug ip packet and debug ip icmp, you should be able to see whats going on.

HTH

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

make sure the hosts you are trying to ping from are properly assign with their respective vlan 2 and 3.

eg.

host 10.1.20.10 should be in vlan 2

host 10.1.30.10 should be in vlan 3

on the hosts switch port interface add

switchport access vlan 2 ( for 10.1.20.10 )

switchport access vlan 3 ( for 10.1.30.10 )

Jorge Rodriguez

vinay_verma80
Level 1
Level 1

hi

1.use the command " show ip route"

r u able to see both of the route as connected route

2. try static routing in "both direction"

then try to ping

3. try extended ping if the switch support

4 . also look for " ip classless" command

regards

vinay verma

Hi,

I would request you kindly give some detail about network like diagram ,also request you to kindly send config of all devices. waiting for your relpy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: