cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I 'monitor session' trunk ports to a Cisco IDS?

mprescher
Level 1
Level 1

I ran across an existing config that has two trunk ports on a 3560 being port monitored to another port which is plugged in to a port on an ids 4515. Will the IDS be able to interpret that trunk traffic? The customer is complaining that they aren't able to see events on a local network (VLAN 1) and this is suppose to be the port they get that traffic from.

Not sure why they chose to monitor trunk ports and I'm not sure it's even possible. I want to change the monitored port to some other local VLAN port that makes sense.

Here are the existing lines:

interface G0/47

switchport turn encap dot1q

switchport mode trunk

interface G0/48

switchport turn encap dot1q

switchport mode trunk

monitor session 2 source interface Gi0/47 - 48

monitor session 2 destination interface Gi0/20

...port 20 goes to the ids.

3 Replies 3

johnsonjb
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if the IDP/IPS can read packets on a trunked port but here is some info I found for you. Then next step might be to identify what the trunks are being used for. Are they going to a Vmware ESX box, these type of server can use trunking, and to monitor traffic , instead of monitoring 2 seperate nics it might be better to monitor 2 seperate vlans(or the vlans you want to monitor). below is the info that might help.

"If the sniffing device or PC NIC does not understand 802.1Q tagged packets, they may drop the packets or have difficulty decoding them. Ability to see the 802.1Q tagged frames is important only when the SPAN source port is a trunk port. Starting from 12.1(11)EA1, you can enable/disable tagging of the packets at the SPAN destination port. Issue the monitor session session_number destination interface interface-id encapsulation dot1q command to enable encapsulation of the packets at the destination port. If the encapsulation keyword is not specified, the packets are sent untagged, which is the default starting from 12.1(11)EA1."

Thanks. That told me something, but I guess what I really want to know is, can the IPS understand trunk traffic from a Cisco switch...I've been off this issue for a few days, but I'm back on it. If I found out, I'll post.

There are 3 modes of sensing supported on the sensors: promiscuous, inline interface pair, and inline vlan pair.

Each mode interacts with vlan headers slightly differently.

Promiscuous:

A promiscuous sensor is fully capable of analyzing 802.1q trunk packets. The vlan will also be reported in any alerts generated.

The trick when monitoring using a trunk is to ensure the span (or vacl capture) configuration is correct on the switch to get the packets you are expecting.

Many types of switches have special caveats when a trunk is a source or destination port in the span.

We also even support Vlan Group subinterfaces on the promiscuous interface.

This allows sets of vlans on the same monitoring port to be monitored by different virtual sensors.

So you could take vlans 1-10 and monitor with vs0, and then take vlans 11-20 and monitor with vs1, etc....

However, to use this feature the switch must be very consistent in how packets are sent to the sensor. When monitoring a connection the sensor needs to see both client and server traffic. And when using Vlan Groups the sensor needs to see the client and server traffic ON THE SAME VLAN. It is this on the same vlan requirement that is not always possible with some span configurations when the switch itself is routing between vlans. Most switches are deployed with routing between vlans by the switch, and so in many cases you won't see the client and server traffic on the same vlans. This is very switch code dependant so you would need to do some research on your specific switch.

Inline Interface Pair:

With an inline interface you are pairing 2 physical interfaces together. A common deployment is to place the inline interface pair in the middle of an existing 802.1q trunk port. Interface 1 would be plugged into the switch, and interface 2 plugged into the other switch or other type of device (like router or firewall).

In this setup the sensor is fully capable of monitoring these packets with 802.1q headers.

However, there is something to keep in mind in these deployments. Often that other device (router, firewall, or switch) will route packets between vlans. So a packet going through the sensor on vlan 10 could be routed right back through the sensor again on vlan 20. Seeing the same packet again can cause TCP tracking confusion on the sensor (especially when the other device is doing small modifications to the packet like sequence number randomization).

To address these we have 2 features.

On InLine Interface Pairs we have the same Vlan Group feature as I discussed above in Promiscuous mode. (Do not confuse Vlan Groups with InLine Vlan Pairs discussed later in this response).

So with Vlan Groups you could separate the vlans across virtual sensors. So if the packet gets routed back into the sensor you could configure it so that packet gets monitored by a separate virtual sensor and it will prevent the sensor confusion with state tracking.

However, there will still be some situations where the packet may still need to cross the same virtual sensor twice. For this deployment scenario we have a configuration setting where you can tell the sensor to track tcp sessions uniquely per vlan. So long as the return packet is on a different vlan this should prevent the tcp tracking confusion. BUT there is a bug this code right now. It should be fixed in an upcoming service pack. The workaround is to go ahead and create a unique Vlan Group for each vlan (one vlan per group instead of multiple vlans in a group), and assign all of the Vlan Groups to the virtual sensor(s).

And then you InLine Vlan Pairs:

With InLine Vlan Pairs the monitoring interface Must be an 802.1q trunk port.

Instead taking packets in one interface and passing to the next interface, the sensor actually takes packets in on one vlan and then sends it back on the other vlan of the pair on the same interface. It does this by modifying the vlan number in the 802.1q header.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card