ASK THE EXPERT - HOSTED UNIFIED COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES

Unanswered Question
Jul 13th, 2007
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update with Cisco expert Scott Boynton about Cisco Hosted Unified Communications Services which they can provide businesses and government agencies the benefits of a converged IP communications network. Scott as a senior manager of product management in the IP Communications Business Unit (IPCBU) leads a team developing Cisco's Hosted Unified Communications Services offering. His team's focus covers eight business unit products and five third party vendor products coalesced into a solution for service providers and systems integrators.

Remember to use the rating system to let Scott know if you have received an adequate response.

Scott might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through July 27, 2007. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

Overall Rating: 4.3 (5 ratings)
thisisshanky Sat, 07/14/2007 - 09:17
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Scott,

Please enlighten us on what this solution is all about.

Thanks

Sankar.

binank_ec_1987@... Sun, 07/15/2007 - 05:13
User Badges:

Hello sir.

My self binank from ahmedabad india. My self engineering student. Right now i m doing BE-EC(ELECTRONICES & COMMUNICATION). I like to make my carrer in networking. Pl suggest me your opiniyn. What thing should be a required. I m not master in programing language like c,c++. Is there any realtion withing networking.Sir i am wait for your reply...

sboynton Mon, 07/16/2007 - 11:05
User Badges:

My suggestion for a career in networking is to get your CCIE certification (Cisco Certified Internetworking Engineer). All companies are looking for technicians with a CCIE rating and pay higher if you have passed the tests already. Otherwise with a degree in software programming you can work for a networking company developing products but you will be a software engineer, not a network engineer.

sboynton Mon, 07/16/2007 - 10:51
User Badges:

Cisco Hosted Unified Communications Services is an architecture that Service Providers or Systems Integrators can use to provide hosted UC services to customers. Basically this gives the customer a similar Unified Communication Manager experience but without having to own or manage the equipment themselves. They would just pay for it on a per phone basis from the provider. This differs from other hosted offerings on the market in that it is a true IP PBX being hosted and not a low featured SIP softswitch. It also includes a full suite of UC functionality including contact center and attendant consoles. There is a wholistic provisioning system that encompasses all of the equipment to increase installation efficiency and provide user self care. In addition, this architecture can be used for very large Enterprise customers who want Service Provider grade reliability and scalability for their UC infrastructure.

binank_ec_1987@... Sun, 07/15/2007 - 05:13
User Badges:

Hello sir.

My self binank from ahmedabad india. My self engineering student. Right now i m doing BE-EC(ELECTRONICES & COMMUNICATION). I like to make my carrer in networking. Pl suggest me your opiniyn. What thing should be a required. I m not master in programing language like c,c++. Is there any realtion withing networking.Sir i am wait for your reply...

Hi Scott,

I am a new learner about Cisco IPT, my company 'sell' solution to SME and Small Government project. Would you please tell me

1/ any cisco link to introduce the benefits of this service

2/ The investment on implementation and maintenance may involved

3/ Any technologies required to involve these kind of project?

sboynton Mon, 07/16/2007 - 11:00
User Badges:

You can find more information about this solution at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns757/networking_solutions_solution.html

However, depending on the size of your projects, and the security required between the tenants (you mentioned government accounts), you may need to look more at managed solutions instead of hosted versions.

This solution is extremely robust in capabilities not only on the line side but also on the trunking and routing side. For that reason we typically as that a trained systems integrator be involved in the installation process until your own people can come up to speed. The initial investment depends on many factors (how many services you want to offer, redundancy, size, complexity of install, etc) so we tend to quote this on a per deal basis after gathering requirements. However, after the solution is installed it is very easy to maintain due to the web based provisioning system. We have seen 100K phone systems being managed by three people.

The technologies required are anything to do with IP Telephony and Unified Communications. The solution is vast and can encompass over 20 different products. A CCIE in IP Telephony is a good start.

thisisshanky Tue, 07/17/2007 - 20:10
User Badges:

Scott,

Sounds great. People who have been try to do hosted solutions have been dying for something like this. Does this solution include multiple isolated directories for each tenant ? Are the base UC components (CM, Unity, IPCC, Meetingplace etc) still remaining the same and for provisioning all this for different tenants, there is framework on top of all this ?

Does hosting such a solution require any ATP or specializations prior to having the ability to sell or host it.

sboynton Tue, 07/17/2007 - 22:10
User Badges:

The solution includes full partitioning between tenants for directories, dial plans, applications, and administrative levels. You can also offer individual XML applications on a per phone or per tenant basis. For the UC components we use a mixture of Cisco and some Cisco Technology Development partner products to deliver the applications based on whether multi tenancy is required. We have three models for how this can be deployed; Hosted Multi Tenant (everything is partitioned and shared), Hosted Dedicated (UCM and other applications can be dedicated to one customer only but the back end routing is still shared), and Hosted Systems Integrated (the whole solution is dedicated to one large customer). In all three models there is a wholistic provisioning system that manages all of the applications from phones to UCM to PGW to Gateways to VM and other UC apps. This provisioning system is provided by a Cisco Technology Development partner called VisionOSS. www.visionoss.com One of the big values with this solution is the Cisco designed and tested dial plan that gets implemented by this provisioning system. It represents about $20M worth of contracted labor if you had to write this from scratch putting things together yourself. Instead you just input variables like DID ranges, IP address ranges, locations, etc and it does the rest. Deployment time is cut by up to 75%.

We do have a Cisco Powered Network Hosted UCS designation available for Service Providers. That program does require a certain amount of staff be CCIE's with telephony certifications. Other than that having people trained in Unified Communication Manager (aka Call Manager) and the PGW2200 softswitch is required if you are going to manage the solution yourself. We do have several systems integration partners that offer outsourced services plus our global training partner Avodaq has courses in the Hosted UCS dial plan, PGW2200, UCM, and the VisionOSS BVSM provisioning system.

k_vishwesh Fri, 07/20/2007 - 00:10
User Badges:

Its nice to have this product.Can i know where can i get training partner for this product.

regards,

vishwesh

sboynton Fri, 07/20/2007 - 05:59
User Badges:

Avodaq is our global training partner for this solution. They provide training for all products in the solution, the provisioning tool, and the dial plan. You can contact them directly for class schedules. www.avodaq.com

SNMP and Management Information Base (MIBS)

Hi,

I want to monitor networking devices such as cisco routers,cisco catalyst switches and cisco firewalls.I need to capture four basic things like CPU utilisation,memory utilisation,interface errors & its utilisation.We have various types of routers,switches and also firewalls.These devices supports many series of IOS versions as well as OLD-CISCO-CPU MIB as well as CISCO-PROCESS MIB.So please advice me what is the procedure to findout which n/w device supports which type of MIBS and what is their IOS version.

Waiting for reply.

Regards,

Shanti Ranjan Dash

Hi all,

I have a list of cisco devices including routers and switches,but how can i know that which devices are supporting CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB with the exact version given in the list,which devices are supporting CISCO-PROCESS-MIB with the exact version given in the list,which devices are supporting OLD-CISCO-CPU-MIB with the exact version given in the list & Finally which devices are supported IF-MIB with the exact version given in the list.

Regards,

Shanti Ranjan Dash

sboynton Thu, 07/19/2007 - 11:18
User Badges:

Each product has IOS release notes that outline the MIBS available on that product. I would suggest starting there or looking through the online TAC database. I'm sorry but that is as much as I know on the question you are asking. You might try posting your question on one of the routing or switching conversations instead.

Scott

thisisshanky Thu, 07/19/2007 - 21:45
User Badges:

Why do people ask unrelated questions in this thread ?

Scott,

Thats great to know more about this product. Thanks for taking your time to explain this. Here is my 5.

Scott,

I try to understand the product simply.

The Cisco Hosted Unified Communications Services is for ISP/other companies want to host VoIP solution to businesses and government agencies.

If I understand correctly, so the Callmanager will be at ISP Site for instance, the IP Phone will be at the customer site.

If above statment correct, so how you control the QoS?? Because not all the IPS has QoS implemented yet.

Ken

sboynton Fri, 07/20/2007 - 11:16
User Badges:

You are correct. QoS is the responsibility of the service provider to implement on the WAN connection between their network and the customer (if they are providing the data link). If the SP is wholesaling the data link to the customer then they need to get the wholesaler to implement QoS on their network. We certainly offer products capable of providing QoS end to end. We also offer white papers on the best way to implement Unified Communications across a network with QoS, but it is up to the SP to implement it.

tenaro.gusatu.novici Sun, 07/22/2007 - 00:47
User Badges:

Is it true that HUCS solution is using H.323 between PGW and CUCM? Can we use SIP instead and (if not is there such a option somewhere on a HUCS roadmap)?

sboynton Mon, 07/23/2007 - 06:22
User Badges:

Yes, we do use H.323 between the PGW and CUCM. The reason for this is due to the amount of features and functions available on H.323 that are still not available in ratified SIP RFCs. We encounter many different environments around the world that require integration with legacy products which do not support SIP but can be integrated with H.323. As this is by far still the norm over finding any SIP based legacy equipment we continue to support H.323. However, you should think of this part of solution as an appliance. From the CUCM to the PGW is a pretty static configuration so you can think of it as a black box. There is SIP on the line side with CUCM and SIP on the application interconnect and trunk side with the PGW. But by not having SIP in between allows you to do far more with the solution at this time. When the standards bodies ratify more useful SIP RFCs such that we can fully replace the H.323 functionality then we will look to make a change.

thomas.chen Wed, 07/25/2007 - 08:41
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Hi Scott

I hear Hosted UCS uses IP Unity instead of Cisco Unity, why?

Thanks

Tom

sboynton Mon, 07/30/2007 - 10:19
User Badges:

Hosted UCS actually uses both products depending on the implementation being deployed. For multi tenant VM situations we do use our Cisco partner IP Unity since they provide full partitioning of their VM system that is unavailable in Cisco Unity. When Hosted UCS is being used in a single tenant mode or if the SP wants to offer a separate VM system per customer, they can use Cisco Unity.

baranmehmet884 Thu, 07/26/2007 - 03:58
User Badges:

I have cisco catalyst 3500 XL series 24 ports switch. I need which port connected a device and what is ip and mac address of these devices. Is it possible?

I use show mac-address-table for mac addresses. And i use show arp for ips. But sometime show arp doesn't work. How can i do this? is it possible???

sboynton Mon, 07/30/2007 - 10:23
User Badges:

I'm sorry but this is not the right thread to ask that sort of question. This thread is in regards to Hosted Unified Communications Services. Please find a switching Net Expert and post on their thread so you can get a proper answer. Thank you.

yhab_dataconsult Sat, 03/13/2010 - 00:24
User Badges:

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Hi

I have two points need to be clafiy ,please :

1-.

For multi tent scenario, what is  the "Actulal solution componets from Cisco  or even from third pary "can you please list it"

2-
For multi tent scenario , how the partitioning will be done for the following components of HUCS:

-IP Telephony
-AA and IVR.
-VM.

-.......(any other componet )

Can you please clarify also if  the technology like VMWare will be use for the customer partitioning  .

sboynton Sat, 03/13/2010 - 11:50
User Badges:

On point one:

The baseline components for multi tenancy are UCM, Gatekeeper (ISR), HSI, PGW2200, and a Gateway (AS5400). You also need the VisionOSS USM provisioning tool as it provides directory and DHCP functions for the phones in addition to provisioning the dial plan to the other applications.You can add more components to the architecture like Contact Center (UCCH), Unified Messaging (Movius), Attendant Console (ARC), CUCIMOC, and SRST.

On point two:

Provisioning is accomplished with the VisionOSS USM tool which is available on the Cisco Solution Plus price list. Cisco develops models and scripts for the dial plan and applications. VisionOSS then takes those and loads them in their Web GUI tool so users can efficiently design the dial plan and set parameters on the applications. This can result in up to a 70% savings in deployment time and cost for implementation. In the day 2 environment the USM tool handles MACD funtions through user defined levels of administration.The current supported applications in the provisioning system are UCM, GK, HSI, PGW, GW, UM, CC, AA, AC, and SRST.

Hosted UCS does not use VMWare for partitioning. It relies on a combination of UCM native partitioning of the calling search space and the PGW2200 to provide the multi tenancy. Cisco does have an alternative multi tenant solution though that uses VMWare with dedicated instances of the applications per tenant. That solution also has a comprehensive management and provisioning tool set for Day 1 and Day 2 functions. If you would like more information on that solution please have your Cisco account team contact me and we can set up a presentation.

Scott

yhab_dataconsult Sat, 03/13/2010 - 23:22
User Badges:

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Thanks For your clarification......

I have more question

Is there any control panel used by the customers  for administration issue like "Call control , change extension number.......and so on"

sboynton Tue, 04/06/2010 - 16:13
User Badges:

Yes. There is a management and provisioning tool that provides 8 levels of devolved administration capabilities. You can assign Service Provider, Reseller, corporate, department, branch, group, sub-group, and end user administration screens. Each level can be customized for what that IT person is allowed to administer with regards to Moves, Adds, Changes, Deletes. Each screen can also be branded differently with that department's name for a better sense of ownership. The End User portal provides a simple interface for users to set their speed dials, forwards, and single number reach options.

Actions

This Discussion