Views
Helpful
Replies

ping - frequency of echo requests

ravisambaji
Level 1
Level 1

hi frineds,

when i ping from a cisco router,how many echo requests are sent in a second.

is there any options to control the number of echo requests to be sent in an second when we ping to a host?

thanks

Ravi

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ravi

I believe that with the normal ping command that IOS throttles the rate at which it sends and there is little that you can do to alter it (in extended ping changing the timeout value is the closest that I can think of). Depending on what you want to do there may be an alternative that you could consider. As part of Service Level Agreement it is possible to use ping to a remote host and to specify the frequency with which ping will be sent. This link has info about SLA and shows using the frequency command:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080441848.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

Echo requests are sent serially. That is, normally it appears that pings are sent as soon as echo-reply is received, so it depends on latency.

i.e.: Send request > wait for reply > reply received, display "!" > send request ....

or

Send request > wait for reply > timeout exceeded, display "." > send request ...

Setting timeout to 0 in extended options under ping command enables router to ping as fast as it can, using CPU. But there are probably some limits.

If you want to control ping interval, you should use tools such as "hping" on some management machine.