venkatesh Gotur
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I inadvertently 'ugpraded' an Aironet 1231 to an Lightweight image, and need to

download it back to autonomous.

Documentation on CC says to press the RESET button whilst booting until the

middle light glows red - after that, the AP will set its IP address to 10.0.0.1

and request tftp://255.255.255.255/<filename>.

This works fine, my TFTP server (10.0.0.2, temporary address) responds to the

TFTP GET request, but the AP fails to download the image, timing out very quickly.

Has anyone else successfully 'downgraded' from Lightweight to Autonomous (IS)

image? Can anyone guide me to getting my IS functionality back?

10 Replies 10

rnigam
Level 1
Level 1

1) Make it for sure that your AP image is set to .default.

2) try rebooting your laptop .

3) if during the course of "downgrade" you get "More....." then press space bar.

4) Check for firewall.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Venkatash,

The problem could be that the Laptop (used for TFTP) Operating System is hiding the known file type. From Internet Explorer, go into Tools > Folder Options > View, scroll down until you find the parameter Hide extensions for known file types, and uncheck the box. This should eliminate the issue.

Hope this helps!

Rob

rajinder63
Level 1
Level 1

its very easy to downgrade from lwapp to autonomous Ap, just give an Ip address to ur laptop or to ur PC.. 10.0.0.2 255.0.0.0 in which ur tftp server is installed and with a cross cable attach the Ap and power on .. but remember one thing .. before u power on , press the mode button untill it turn blood red and just leave it .. it will cop the latest ios on ur ap ... but , mind one thing .. turn off the firewall from ur Pc ... or any norton thing .. it will install ...easily

rajinder63
Level 1
Level 1

sorry once again , u need to change the file extensi to TAR.default.. whatever the file name or ios u download... the name may be this .... c1130-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEB...just change to this .....c1130-k9w7-tar.default and power on the AP

Thanks Guys for your reply,

However we have tried all these steps, but no luck.

The TFTP server just times out when it tries to access the IOS.it says transfering 0 bytes and then times out.

Please suggest

He guys,

Thanks for all your help.

The issue is resolved.

Regards,

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Venkatash,

Sounds like a TFTP problem for sure :(

Have a look at the details in the following threads that all have to do with TFTP. There are some great hints for troubleshooting TFTP problems from some of my favourite NetPros like ScottMac,Stephen from Cisco and Jack Young. The likely culprit may be that you need to uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" on your TFTP server;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=WLAN%20Radio%20Standards&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddc042b/8#selected_message

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=General&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddc03c4/2#selected_message

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=General&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddbf271

Maybe try this (highly recommended version)

Solar Winds tftp

http://www.solarwinds.net/Tools/Free_tools/TFTP_Server/

The problem could be that the Laptop (used for TFTP) Operating System is hiding the known file type. From Internet Explorer, go into Tools > Folder Options > View, scroll down until you find the parameter Hide extensions for known file types, and uncheck the box. This should eliminate the issue.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Rob

ebeahm
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure you rename the file in dos and not in windows. It still has a .tar and the end eventho in windows it shows as tar.default etc..

I had the same problem, but found in a console screen that it was trying to retreive c1200-k9w7-tar.default and not the full IOS name. So I simply renamed the image c1200-k9w7-tar.default and it seems to be loading fine.

1. config your PC Adapter to IP Address 10.0.0.2 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.224

2. Go into AP Rammon

3. Type this command

tar -xtract tftp://10.0.0.2/c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar flash:

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: