Helpful
Replies

ASA 5520 7.22 Reboot

pelitti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a ASA 5520 7.22 running well.

Today it reboots 5 times in half hours. Then now it works fine.

Do you know if there are some exploits, bugs or vulnerability ?

The configuration is basic, no VPN, no WEBVPN, 4 Giga ports, 3 security level, and 2 securitu policy.

Now i can't see the logs, any idea on ?

How can i search in the logs ?

Thank you.

Mauro

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mauro

I do not believe that we have enough information yet to solve your problem. Could the reboots be the result of some external environmental issue? (were any other devices having problems at this time, is it possible that there were power fluctuations, is it possible that the space got very hot). It is possible that the failure was the result of some hardware component that is failing. Without console messages or anything from the time of the previous failures I do not know what to do about this possibility other than to monitor to see if it happens again.

It is certainly possible that the reboots were the result of a software problem. My experience with 7.2.2 has been good (I did have an issue with an ASA rbooting when running earlier code but it has run without problem after upgrade to 7.2.2). If the problem happens again hopefully you will be able to capture some better information about it.

Without knowing how you have logging configured on the ASA we can not give you advice on how to search in the logs. Perhaps you can post the config?

If these problems have been happening I would think that if you do not already have logging enabled, that you would enable logging (perhaps to console if you have something to monitor the console, or to a syslog server) so that you can capture information about any future failures.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mauro

I do not believe that we have enough information yet to solve your problem. Could the reboots be the result of some external environmental issue? (were any other devices having problems at this time, is it possible that there were power fluctuations, is it possible that the space got very hot). It is possible that the failure was the result of some hardware component that is failing. Without console messages or anything from the time of the previous failures I do not know what to do about this possibility other than to monitor to see if it happens again.

It is certainly possible that the reboots were the result of a software problem. My experience with 7.2.2 has been good (I did have an issue with an ASA rbooting when running earlier code but it has run without problem after upgrade to 7.2.2). If the problem happens again hopefully you will be able to capture some better information about it.

Without knowing how you have logging configured on the ASA we can not give you advice on how to search in the logs. Perhaps you can post the config?

If these problems have been happening I would think that if you do not already have logging enabled, that you would enable logging (perhaps to console if you have something to monitor the console, or to a syslog server) so that you can capture information about any future failures.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

thank you for your response.

Nothing about enviroment, the other components runninig well, so the asa now.

I have no problem with 7.22, some problem, day ago, with 7.21.

Now i am not in office, so i can only look to my logs, but no post it.

When i will in office i'll be able to post IT.

I look at logs, but i can see nothing anomaly...

My question is: can someone, with exploits etc, try to do a reboot ?

for days....all well....in half hour 5 reboots ...and now well....strange!!

thank you.

Mauro

Hi,

the enviroment is ok,but.....i have about 35? C where the asa is placed.

Does anyone know the temperature range of asa5520 ??

Thank you.

Mauro

Hi,

now i have the solution:

More than 40?C , over the asa temperature range....so it reboot.

Thank you.

Mauro

Mauro

I am glad that you have identified the problem. This was an interesting and not so obvious one. It is good to have these in the forum. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your issue was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It helps make the forum more useful when people can read about an issue and can know that they will read a resolution of the issue. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card