cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Low Cost VOIP Design Template for SME

prasenjitmedhi
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on designing a VOIP solution for an SME and it occurred to me that there is no shortage of choice when it comes to picking VOIP solutions starting from choice of router, to choice of modules, all the way to choice of encapsulation, and choice of IP phone.

The low cost VOIP design blueprint that I have settled on goes like this:

Remote Site(8 locations): Cisco 2611XM with 12.4(9)T, with NM 2V. 64 kbps Frame relay to H.O.

Central Site: Cisco 3745 with NM-HDV-2E1-60, with point to point FR for each remote location.

Software Cisco Call Manager V4/V5, on Cisco Tower Server.

Cisco SRST License, 36 users x (n)

Cisco VoIP phone 7902 and above and also using older analog phones + Cisco Unified Video Advantage.

---------------

I had some questions and require suggestions regarding the above, namely:

0. Does the NM-2V support older analog phones?

1. Will a NM-2V work with SRST?

2. How much does a Cisco Call Manager Server setup(Tower Server + Application) cost approximately? I may have upto 300+ users.

3. Is 64kbps Frame Relay sufficient for a video conference call?

4. Please feel free to offer your kind suggestions.

Thanks,

Prasenjit

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

for a low cost design, try the following:

1. and most important use CME that is the feature to do the PBX on the router. Avoid CCM and all the associated costs, configuration and maintenance.

2. use 1751 or 1760. These will support pvdm256k- and VIC cards without the need for NM-xxx. The 26xx are more expensive and do not do anything more.

3. in central site, avoid th 37xx that are obsolete and never really very much multiservice. Use a 2821 perhaps with as many pvdm2 depedning on your connection to the PSTN.

4. 64 FR to the branches is barely enough for two calls with high compression. Is not enoug for video.

2. avoid

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: