Views
Helpful
Replies

Tracert

captsivakumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The traceroute performed below takes a long time to execute from the router. Can any body tell me Why? but the out put of the traceroute as you may notice is well within the baselined network RTT limits.

I tried the same on another one of our routers on the network (having the same IOS and router model as above) the traceroute is executed immediately.

SPttur#trac

SPttur#traceroute

Protocol [ip]:

Target IP address: 192.168.50.1

Source address: 172.22.13.240

Numeric display [n]:

Timeout in seconds [3]: 1

Probe count [3]:

Minimum Time to Live [1]:

Maximum Time to Live [30]:

Port Number [33434]:

Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]: v

Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[V]:

Type escape sequence to abort.

Tracing the route to 192.168.50.1

1 172.31.224.38 16 msec 16 msec 16 msec

2 172.31.163.113 52 msec 48 msec 52 msec

3 192.168.53.252 52 msec 56 msec 52 msec

4 192.168.50.1 52 msec 52 msec 48 msec

regards,

KKM

3 Replies 3

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI,

Can you please let us know howz your Router System Status & CPU Usage Status.

Pls add the "show tech-support" output / show cpu status output

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

KKM

I believe that there is a simple explanation for this behavior. traceroute on a Cisco router will attempt to resolve the name for each IP address of each hop and report both the address and the name of the device. I see in the traceroute output that there are no names reported. I believe that at each hop the router is attempting to resolve the address to a name, is sending a DNS request and is waiting for the request to time out (is not getting any response). I suspect that on the other router where it executes quickly either the router has a valid name server configured or is configured with no ip domain-lookup. I believe that you can fix the response time problem on your router either by configuring it to have a valid name server or by configuring no ip domain-lookup which will tell the router not to attempt to resolve addresses to name.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

KKM,

As a simplier solution to your problem, when you use the extended traceroute command, when you get to the question "Numeric display [n]: " set this to "y" and the traceroute will not try to resolve the ip address. This will hence quicken up the performance of the traceroute command.

Regards

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card