Cisco entry level/CCNA questions

Unanswered Question
Jul 16th, 2007

I am trying to teach myself Cisco. I have taken a small class offered by the Navy that was very entry level. What I need now is to get CCNA by the end of the year. It's a personal goal. The local college offes classes, but will not fit within the time frame. I could go to the Boot Camps, but the overall cost with pre-reqs is over $8000. That is way too much for me to spend for this. I have looked at the Bryant Advantage and it seems there is a lot of good study material from them. I've also read the forums and a lot of people recommend getting a CCNA kit that has routers and switches. What would be the best configuration for this? I am willing to spend the money that I need to, but don't want to get fleeced for these boot camps. Also, what books would be the best to study from. I'd really like to avoid the books that take a team of powerlifters to deliver them to my house. I appreciate any advice that is given. Thanks.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dana.roberson Tue, 07/17/2007 - 08:06

Thanks for the info on ciscopress. What else would be recommended. I would think that with as much experience is here, someone would have one through the same thing of self teaching and can help guide me. I visited one of the boot cams yesterday and they recommend A+, Net+ and then CCNA. The total for alll 3 is over $7000 but I should be able to test out of A+ to save $3000. That leaves $4000 to cover that my employer will pay 60% of it so I would be out of pocket for about 1600 of it. It still seems steep for a total of 2 weeks of classes and the exams. Let me know what you think.

srue Tue, 07/17/2007 - 11:07

if you're highly motivated and have access to some equipment (or do online rack rentals), there's no reason you can't do self study. I've never taken a certification-related class and i've done just fine, just as i know others here have done.

In addition to Ciscopress books for the CCNA, get todd lammle's Sybex CCNA boook.

Depending on your own experience though and background (which I dont know), it might be better to start w/ either A+ or Net+ before the CCNA. Also, it's not that you 'test-out' of anything, i think you mean to say you would just take the test with little or no studying?

In the least, if you decide to do either A+ or Net+ first, get a book as well.

neerav_kumar Tue, 07/17/2007 - 17:40

If CCNA is your goal then it is definitely achievable by self study. And why self study will be the best because you have got sufficient time to understand things and that is what counts in the end.

Regarding books you can go for Cisco Press books they have covered the concepts in totality. These will give you the in depth knowledge and a feel of networking.

Sybex book (Todd Lamhe) is exam oriented and can be seen as a revision.

And remember 8th Nov is the last date for CCNA exams so do remember to appear in it before its too late.

And during you preparation just post all the doubts in the forum and we'll solve them

Actions

This Discussion