cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDS-4235 boots to GRUB after applying 6.0(3)E1

lbhoang
Level 1
Level 1

6.0(3)E1 patch applied successfully to our non-production IDS-4215. Applying the patch to our production IDS-4235 causes it to boot directly to grub> command prompt. It appears the system files are there. What command do I need to issue for grub to finish patching and can someone share the content of /boot/boot/grub.conf from IDS-4235 with 6.0(3)E1 so I can boot it manually? Thank you.

6 Replies 6

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

Here's the contents of grub.conf on a 4235 running 6.0(2)E1:

aesop-compt

enableui

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600

terminal --timeout=0 --dumb serial

default=0

timeout=10

title Cisco IPS

root (hd0,0)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.30-IDS-smp-bigphys ro ramdisk_size=76800 rootrw=/dev/sda2 root=/dev/ram0 init=loadrc nousb console=ttyS0 htlblow=32 hugepages=176

initrd (hd0,0)/runtime.gz

title Cisco IPS Recovery

root (hd0,0)

kernel /vmlinuz-r ro ramdisk_size=76800 rootrw=/dev/sda2 root=/dev/ram0 nousb console=ttyS0

initrd (hd0,0)/recovery.gz

title Cisco IPS Clear Password (cisco)

root (hd0,0)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.30-IDS-smp-bigphys ro ramdisk_size=76800 rootrw=/dev/sda2 root=/dev/ram0 init=loadrc nousb console=ttyS0 recoverPassword=cisco htlblow=32 hugepages=176

en

Matthew, appreciate you sharing the grub.conf content. As a note for others, from grub I was able to manually boot with the three lines from the default 'Cisco IPS' section:

root (hd0,0)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.30-IDS-smp-bigphys ro ramdisk_size=76800 rootrw=/dev/sda2 root=/dev/ram0 init=loadrc nousb console=ttyS0 htlblow=32 hugepages=176

As it turns out the 6.0(3)E1 service pack wiped the content of grub.conf file which is mounted as read only from /dev/boot as /boot. To restore the content of grub.conf as root user (after logging in with support account and doing "su -") remount the filesystem as read write with the following command:

mount -o remount,rw /dev/boot

After restoring grub.conf the appliance can be reloaded normally without manual intervention. Fortunately, it appears the patch broke early enough in the process that nothing else other than grub.conf, as far as I can tell, was affected. The appliance is reporting the prior 6.0(2)E1 version.

I just got off the phone with our reseller support and they and Cisco finally admitted that it's a known issue classified as unreleased bug after saying that IDS-4235 is not supported with 6.0(3)E1 service pack then saying a reimage is needed to fix the grub issue.

We got hit with this as well. We had one 4235 that exhibited this behavior. We also had a 4240 that couldn't find any boot images after the upgrade and just continually reboot.

Definitely glad you ran into this first and included your details.

I've applied the upgrade from 6.0.2 to 6.0.3 on IPS-4240, and got bitten by the same problem. The upgrade was performed through the IDM interface. Were your upgrades done through the IDM or through the CLI?

Once I got onto the serial console, I was presented with the following:

Launching BootLoader...

Default configuration file contains 1 entry.

Searching / for images to boot.

No images found in /

Error 15: File not found

unable to boot an image

Failsafe booting engaged.

Default configuration file contains 1 entry.

Searching / for images to boot.

No images found in /

Error 15: File not found

unable to boot an image

?

Booting system, please wait...

From CLI. We just had another one (4240) have the same problem. That makes about a 15% failure rate for us.

tolulopebalogun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

what can be done to restore an IPS 4240 that couldn't find any boot images after the upgrade and just continually reboot?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: