cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup Router Config Using Console Port

dlitteer
Level 1
Level 1

How do I load the configuration from the production router to a backup router. The backup router is connected using only a console cable to a laptop. Since TFTP server uses IP and the ethernet port on the backup router is not connected, is my only resort to manually enter config line by line?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

There are alternatives that are better than having to enter the config line by line. The easiest alternative is to log in to the primary router, do show running-config, use cut and paste to put the content of the config into a text file on the laptop, then log in to the backup, go into config mode, and paste the content of the config into the backup router, and then remember to do copy running-config startup-config to save the config on the backup.

That should work ok for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

There are alternatives that are better than having to enter the config line by line. The easiest alternative is to log in to the primary router, do show running-config, use cut and paste to put the content of the config into a text file on the laptop, then log in to the backup, go into config mode, and paste the content of the config into the backup router, and then remember to do copy running-config startup-config to save the config on the backup.

That should work ok for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick. That worked fine. I tried that before I posted, but it would have helped if I was in configuration mode. One more question - this router has a spare 1port DSU/CSU T1 WIC that I want to remove. The configuration has it as serial 0/1. When I tried to enter "no interface serial 0/1" I received the message "removal of serial interfaces is not permitted" Can I just power down and remove this card?

Thanks. Dan

Hi Dan,

You can't and you don't have to do "no" for any physical interface, you can simply power off the router and remove the card.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Dan

I agree with Mohammed that all you need to do is to power down the router and then remove the WIC. All references to the interface in the config will be removed when the router boots and the WIC has been removed.

Thanks for using the rating system to indicate that your issue was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about an issue and can know that they will read an answer that resolved the issue. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

It worked fine. Thank you. This forum has been a very valuable resource and I look forward to the day when I can start providing help at some point rather than constantly receiving.

Thanks again.

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

Console allows you to use XMODEM. It is very slow, and IOS would take about an hour to load, but it is still very usable, and speed would not matter in your case.

Get configuration from production router, wither over TFTP or otherwise. Also you can connect to it through console, and do a copy "startup-config xmodem:" (Don't forget to start XMODEM in your console, by selecting XMODEM RECEIVE option)

Then connect to backup router with console, and do a "copy xmodem: startup-config".

(Don't forget to start XMODEM in your console, by selecting XMODEM SEND option, and selecting the configuration file you want to send)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card