Views
Helpful
Replies

Feedback Requested - Security Forum Structure

pcomeaux
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Forum Members -

Per the thread requesting a Mars Subforum, please review the request from Dan, a NetPro Forum Moderator.

Please post your feedback either to this post or to the Mars post.

thxs

peter

**** From the MARS Subforum Conversation ****

Everyone,

We are currently in the process of revisiting how our security forums are structured. There are numerous issues that need to be taken into account when topics are changed. For example, NetPro rating point reassignments raise difficulties. Please realize that your comments have been heard. If you have suggestions on how forums should be structured please post them here and be assured everything will be considered.

Regards,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Moderator

4 Replies 4

pcomeaux
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To kick off the conversation, here's my thoughts:

The NetPro Forum does not have SubForums broken out by product name in any of the Technologies Forums.

Can we come up with a structure that remains technology focused?

Here's an example:

Security

- General

- Firewall

- Network Admission Control

- AAA and Identity Services

- IPS - Host and Network (maybe 2 separate?)

- Security Configuration

- Security Monitoring

- Compliance (PCI, SOX, GLBA, HIPAA)

No doubt that you can pick out the product that falls into the category (ASA, NacAPP, ACS, CSA, NIPS, MARS, CSM).

thxs

peter

Hi

I'm not keen on organising forums based on specific products as Cisco have a high turnover in product lines and a lot of the forums would become defunct.

I generally find in the security forums that the questions are more often than not posted into the right forum alhough what i would like to see change is the "General category" under Security as this is a bit of a catch all and anything can pitch up here. I think NAC / MARS should be considered for their own forums especally NAC as more companies look to deploy this technology.

Jon

One point I would like to make is that I honestly don't see enough traffic in the forums to warrant breaking the security forum into so many subforums. If there were hundereds of new posts daily I would see the need for it to be broken down further.

Right now, it's actually easier to find things with fewer subforums.

My 2 cents.

Peter, since you posted a specific list let me comment on that as a discussion point: I like the list except I could see someone thinking "IDS" might be Security Monitoring (but I'd rather see IDS and IPS in the same subforum due to their usually-common-device implementation.) Also I'm thinking the Security Configuration could cross a lot of lines, again because there are a lot of places to configure security!

I like the "Compliance" subforum idea, I don't do this myself but I can see a place for "How do I comply with 'x'?" questions which might well cross product and technology boundaries.

I posted the original MARS subforum post and I appreciate the discussion!

Paul Trivino

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: