Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0(4) server blue screens on reboot

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Have a Unity 4.0(4) server (no SRs, no ES's) and when it is rebooted it blue screens and then reboots itself and then comes up fine usually on 2nd or 3rd reboot. Sometimes takes 4 reboots.

It does not blue screen right away, it is blue screening after the icons and desktop start appearing when it does.

There are no Dr Watsons and it appears this has started recently, but not exactly sure.

It is unified, with Exchange 2003 SP2 and Unity is 4.0(4) with no updates. I was thinking of applying the current OS updates with the unity OS update tool and then 4.0(4) SR with the ES's for exchange connectivity issues (ES 35, 97), latest TSP, etc.

Just wondered if anyone has seen this before or not. The other event log warnings at around time of reboots are performance monitor errors (MSMQ, MQPERF, IISCounters, etc) which don't look like they would cause this.

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Save Dump

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 7/13/2007

Time: 4:32:14

User: N/A

Computer: UNITY

Description:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0xe2c60000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x80493f1e). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\MEMORY.DMP.

6 Replies 6

arielroza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

A question: If you do not log on the server, and leave alone the server for, say, 15 minutes... does it does the Blue Screen?

If so, then the cause can be one of the services.

if not, it means that the problem is generated by one of the applications run under the user privileges.

One thing you can do to try to identify the offending program is to disable the automatic reboot when a Blue Screen happens. To do this go to: My PC -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> Under System Failure, disable "Automatically Restart".

Best regards,

Ariel

The server model is MCS-7835H-3.0-ECS1

Anyone know if a BIOS update would be helpful for this issue also? I am planning on doing OS updates friday.

A BIOS update certainly won?t, but an OS update may be useful, but it weill be much better if you try to pinpoint the cause of the blue screen

The memory has already been replaced and same thing is happening. Any other ideas to narrow down cause of blue screen other then trying to see if cisco TAC can see what MS finds in the memory.dmp file?

As I put in my earlier post, you can do two things:

1) Prevent the server from automatically booting after the blue screen. In the main section of the screen, near the STOP error message, there may be a name of the file that originated the fault (i.e. tcpip.sys) If the file corresponds to a program you recognize, you can try to uninstall it.

2)Try disabling windows services, one by one, until you find (if lucky) the one that causes the failure.

Best regards,

Ariel.

The blue screen happens all the time by ntoskrnl.exe when it happen.

I looked at it in person today and once in every 2 or 3 reboots on average it would blue screen, even before logging in (I let it sit there). About half the time it was fine on reboots (warm and cold restart ; didn't seem to matter).

I applied the current OS updates for Unity and rebooted, and first reboot was fine, then I rebooted again a few more times and it was still having the BSOD problem. So I proceeded to apply some Unity updates for version they had to bring Unity up to date and had to reboot after each patch. It did BSOD with these still. The last patch I did was a newer Unity TSP which is a driver and I've done 10 reboots since then without problems, so things are looking better now. Before it seemed like every second or third reboot would have BSOD. I am not sure it is fixed yet or if I just got lucky and had no BSOD on the many reboots I did. I'll have to see about doing some more to see...

I did save a copy of the memory.dmp file from the crash. It is 1 gig in size.