Views
Helpful
Replies

IBM Blade switch cisco OS-CIGESM-18TT-EBU Console Message

arumugasamy
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

The model of the IBM Blade server 8852 using the cisco blade switch model OS-CIGESM-18TT-EBU.

There are 4 ports gi0/17,18,19,20 are being used for the external network connectivity. Whenever i connected the port to the cisco core switch port confgiured with vlan 1 access port w/o any other spanning tree commends, the following message appeared in the console

blase switch(config)#inter gi0/17

blade switch(config)#switchport mode access

blade switch(config)#switchport access vlan 1

blade switch(config)#no shutdown

% Shutdown not allowed on this interface

I did the write erase then reload cmd

i did erase startup cmd

the 4 ports 17 to 20 of the blade switch gives the same message

Please give the workaround.

Thanks

swami

5 Replies 5

Hi, you get these messages when your external ports in the switch modules haven't yet been enabled, you have to go into the management module (MM)and do the following:

Logon to the MM

- go to I/O Module Tasks

- then go to Admin/Power/Restart

- scroll down the page to I/O Module Advanced Setup

- then ENABLE Fast POST and External ports for the SMs

Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

I went with one of our blade engr.What is MM?

Where can i find it. Is it cisco switch Mgmt or blade server related tasks?

Let me discuss with our blade engineer.

Thanks

swami

The Management Module is part of the Blade Center. The Blade Engineer should know where it is. It's available through the MM's Ethernet interface.

One other thing that will drive you crazy if you do not do it right. After you config the switches, you must update the IP addresses for the switch modules through this MM GUI interface. If you do not, and the system is cold booted, then the IP addresses will be reset to the defaults. There are rules on what addresses to assign for management and such. You also need to set up and declare a VLAN for management of the switches. Contact me off line for more real life configs and info if you need it.

Jim

Dear Jim,

Only 4 ports gi0/17 -20 is in shotdown state if we do the no shutdown cmd then the "% shutdown not allowed in the interface" message on the console. But all other ports we can shutdown and no shutdown it to bring back them ON.

Please what is the reason for this problem.

Thanks

swami

The external Ports are disabled by the management-module by default, so you have to enable those via the web-gui of the MM. Find it under I/O-Modules -> Admin/Power/Restart

After that you should be able to enable the external ports.

Greetings Dirk

regards, Dirk (Please rate if helpful)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card