Views
Helpful
Replies

decrease the latency for Game traffic

ahmedalammari
Level 1
Level 1

dears;

I'm working in ISP and i faced a problem for one of my customer's business depends on game application, so the problem in high latency once we establsh the game with the far server we got latency 500-1000ms and the game port no. 6113, so please if you have any suggestion or any configuration can i add it to solve this issue?

note; i have multilayer switch 3750.

6 Replies 6

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The port 6113 is UDP port, right?

You can give priority to the real time traffic using LLQ so you can improve the delay.

Take a look at this link for QoS config:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5532/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801eea0e.html

Hope it helps, rate if does,

Krisztian

thank you Krisztian;

As I know it is TCP port.

I will read this part.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please include a diagram of all the devices involved in the game, including type of router/switch used, type of interface, speed of the link.

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Ahmed

Can you revert whether you are getting this kinda latency in a private network (i.e., within ISP network endpoints) or getting this latency in public network(internet).

If its on Internet you can try finding out the best path to reach the remote end server and reroute the traffic based on the customer requirement.

If its on your own private network then you need to do a serious troubleshooting to find out on which hop its coming up with this kinda latency..

regds

Dear spremkumar

thanks alot for your interseting , and this latency thru internet, so i can't control the international links after my gateway and alreay i asked IGW ( gateway in KSA ) about this problem but they said no problem from thier side. only now i'm trying to solve this issue from my side if possible.

Very few games use TCP due to the increased overhead and latency involved with that, if it is indeed TCP part of the latency would come from the TCP overhead. Almost all games use UDP as it isn't necessary to recieve all data and latency is much more important.

Is the latency also verified by ICMP from client to server? Or is this the in-game latency as reported by the game itself which includes both server and client overhead (and possibly TCP overhead as well if it realy is TCP)?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco