I am getting the folloring alert in the LMS (DFM):

EVENT ID = 00003ZB

ALERT ID = 000016T

TIME = Mon 16-Jul-2007 18:12:41 CDT

STATUS = Active

SEVERITY = Critical

MANAGED OBJECT = 192.168.12.242

MANAGED OBJECT TYPE = Routers

EVENT DESCRIPTION = OperationallyDown::Component=IF-192.168.12.242/3 [E1 0/0];Type=DS1;OperStatus=NOTPRESENT;InterfaceCode=CODEUNKNOWN;DuplexMode=FULLDUPLEX;AdminStatus=NOTPRESENT;LastChangedAt=16

It appears that my Serial interface (E1 controller) is down but the Serial interface is still up, so my question is what does the Operational status "NotPresent" means, because when a serial interface goes down the operational status is set to "down" and not to "notpresent".

I don?t want to receive email alerts when my serial interface is not really down.

Any comments are appreciated!

1 Reply 1

jreekers
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Vicente.

I believe the description assigned to the ifOperStatus object explains what the "not present" state means:

ifOperStatus OBJECT-TYPE

-- FROM IF-MIB

SYNTAX Integer { up(1), down(2), testing(3), unknown(4), dormant(5), notPresent(6), lowerLayerDown(7) }

MAX-ACCESS read-only

STATUS Current

DESCRIPTION "The current operational state of the interface. The testing(3) state indicates that no operational packets can be passed. If ifAdminStatus is down(2) then ifOperStatus should be down(2). If ifAdminStatus is changed to up(1) then ifOperStatus should change to up(1) if the interface is ready to transmit and receive network traffic; it should change to dormant(5) if the interface is waiting for external actions (such as a serial line waiting for an incoming connection); it should remain in the down(2) state if and only if there is a fault that prevents it from going to the up(1) state; it should remain in the notPresent(6) state if the interface has missing (typically, hardware) components."

::= { iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) mgmt(2) mib-2(1) interfaces(2) ifTable(2) ifEntry(1) 8 }

In DFM, the "alert" you are seeing is what is happening at that particular moment in time, so by the time you're checking (and you see the interface is up), that event could have already passed.

Go ahead and acknowledge the alert, and see if it reoccurs. If it does, take note of the time and try to determine if there is a pattern to when it occurs (maybe being polled by a NMS at the same time every day).

Good luck, and HTH,

Regards,

-Joe R.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: