cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting 4400 controller to talk on the network

svanguilder
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get a 4400 series controller to work on our network. I have assigned the IP address from the VLAN and assigned the proper vlan to the interfaces on the controller but I can't ping from devices on the network or from the controller to the devices. I have both straight cables and x-over and get nothing with either. I have redid the addresses and moved to another VLAN with no success.

Anyone got any pointers?

9 Replies 9

r.docuyanan
Level 1
Level 1

hi use the same network for your wlan infrastructure

your ap manager ip and management ip should be in the same VLAN network, also set up a scope in your DHCP server in the same VLAN for the LWAPP

They are both on the same network. At one point I did have them on the same VLAN as I setup for the LWAPPs. I can't get to either address from anywhere on the network.

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

You need to set the port on the switch side to trunk mode and connect it to the ports

typically, the service port will be in a management vlan that can talk with the WCS, syslog servers, etc.

The APs will be in the same vlan as the ap-management enabled interface on the controller.

you will then create dynamic interfaces on the controller and bind them to vlans on your wired infrastructure.

Here is a good starting point:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080665cdf.shtml

The issue was the vlan tagging on the managemnet port. It seems that you can't vlan tag on the port if it is the native vlan.

Thanks!!

Scott

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Best practices are to have the AP-Manger and Management interfaces on the same subnet with a VLAN tag of 0. Then on the connected switch interface(s), use the switchport trunk native vlan x command to set the VLAN that the IP addresses are in.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I am having a similar issue as described in the first post of this thread.

I set the trunking on the switch and followed the other details in the link provided.

I can see the devices with cdp from both sides, packets are passing in both but cannot ping across the connection.

Suggestions?

Not sure if you are getting the same thing as I was, but I had to set the VLAN on the WLC management port to zero. There was a note on the setup page about that. Once I set it to zero I could ping and access the WLC from the web.

hi

if you are having issues in the vlan tagging

make sure that you have in your switch port that is connected to the WLC as trunk and that switch have the global config in your catalyst switch

vlan dot1q tag native

try that

Read http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/3.2/configuration/guide/c32mint.html#wp1153947

A zero value for the VLAN identifier (on the Controller > Interfaces page) means that the interface is untagged.

The default (untagged) native VLAN on Cisco switches is VLAN 1. When controller interfaces are configured as tagged (meaning that the VLAN identifier is set to a non-zero value), the VLAN must be allowed on the 802.1Q trunk configuration on the neighbor switch and not be the native untagged VLAN.

Cisco recommends that only tagged VLANs be used on the controller. You should also allow only relevant VLANs on the neighbor switch's 802.1Q trunk connections to controller ports. All other VLANs should be disallowed or pruned in the switch port trunk configuration. This practice is extremely important for optimal performance of the controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card