cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN client and Virtual PC.

stewada75
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Windows XP SP2 laptop with Cisco VPN client 4.0.3. I recently installed Virtual PC 2007 and am running a client's build of XP SP2 as a guest OS. I have two network cards installed (built-in and PCMCIA) and am trying to get VPC2007 to use the PCMCIA device (easy to do) and Cisco VPN to use the built-in device (not so easy to do). I'm not very experienced in this sort of thing so I apologise in advance.

Is it theoretically possible to do the following:

1) When plugged into the LAN of the client (as I am at the moment) can I access their LAN via VPC2007 while the Cisco VPN accesses my remote network?

2) Can I restrict Cisco VPN to only use the built-in NIC? When I disconnect and reconnect it often uses the PCMCIA NIC and kills my access to the client LAN via VPC2007.

3) The client uses Nortel Contivity VPN client. I have this installed on the guest OS in Virtual PC. I am able to connect to either VPN connection on their own but if I am connected via the Cisco VPN I am unable to connect the Nortel. Also if the Nortel is connected it stops working as soon as the Cisco VPN connects.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 Reply 1

stewada75
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, solved it.

I went into Network Properties on the host OS and unticked all network

components except Virtual Machine Network Services on the network device I am

using on the guest OS.

Now both VPN's can work simultaneously.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: