cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN client and Virtual PC.

stewada75
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Windows XP SP2 laptop with Cisco VPN client 4.0.3. I recently installed Virtual PC 2007 and am running a client's build of XP SP2 as a guest OS. I have two network cards installed (built-in and PCMCIA) and am trying to get VPC2007 to use the PCMCIA device (easy to do) and Cisco VPN to use the built-in device (not so easy to do). I'm not very experienced in this sort of thing so I apologise in advance.

Is it theoretically possible to do the following:

1) When plugged into the LAN of the client (as I am at the moment) can I access their LAN via VPC2007 while the Cisco VPN accesses my remote network?

2) Can I restrict Cisco VPN to only use the built-in NIC? When I disconnect and reconnect it often uses the PCMCIA NIC and kills my access to the client LAN via VPC2007.

3) The client uses Nortel Contivity VPN client. I have this installed on the guest OS in Virtual PC. I am able to connect to either VPN connection on their own but if I am connected via the Cisco VPN I am unable to connect the Nortel. Also if the Nortel is connected it stops working as soon as the Cisco VPN connects.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 Reply 1

stewada75
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, solved it.

I went into Network Properties on the host OS and unticked all network

components except Virtual Machine Network Services on the network device I am

using on the guest OS.

Now both VPN's can work simultaneously.