Views
Helpful
Replies

Protocol Tunneling hardware resource not available

SVvoropaev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello friends. Confused by fallowing log message:

*Jul 12 22:55:11.599 PST: %PT-SP-3-PT_HW_UNAVAIL: Protocol Tunneling hardware resource not available. Protocol tunneling could not be enabled because redirect registers are unavailable.

Any body know what does it mean? This message appear when I configure "l2protocol-tunnel stp". So tunneling not work also.

8 Replies 8

b.speltz
Level 4
Level 4

This problem is fixed in the IOS version 12.2(18.9.26)SX

Thanks!!!

Could you provide URL with explanation of this Bug? ?Or URL to reference IOS relies note? What the Bug id? I parsed all cisco.com but doesn?t find any info about such caveat.

Hi

Did you ever get a bug reference for this? I am experiencing the same issue.

Kind regards

Richard

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

Could you please let me know the software and the hardware details in which you are seeing this issue.. There have been several bugs but on different platforms. Also, if this issue is seen on 6500 switch, was there any switchover happened in the recent past.

Regards

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit

Hi

Thanks for the reply. We are seeing the issue on a 6513 (non E) running 12.2.33 SXI4a - I am aware that this is no longer supported. However I am reluctant to upgrade for the sake of it. If I can identify a bug it makes a better case for an upgrade.

We have experienced switchover issues in the last 12 months, but not at the same time as the log messgaes as far as i'm aware. We seem to generate the log messages when implementing dot1q tunneling.

Regards

Richard

Hello Richard

Do you have any span session configured on the 6500 switch. Can you check "show run | in monitor". Do you also have a FWSM module installed on the switch as well.

We have seen that with monitor session on service module can lead to such errors.

Regards

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit

Hi Vinit

We do not have any SPAN sessions configured. However, we do have an FWSM installed.

Regards

Richard

Hello vinijain,

I'm a colleague of cunninghamri (Richard Cunningham) and am following up his enquiry. Do you have any update with regards to this issue please. The L2 tunnel is tunneling user traffic ok but not CDP or STP. Can you shed any more light on this given Richards response to your question?

Many thanks

Richard Thomas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: