switchport voice vlan

lm20ele
Level 1
Level 1

Example:

interface fa0/1

switchport access vlan 10

switchport voice vlan 510

As far as I know, when we try this configuration your voice and vlan data are being carried on separate vlans. Also I have notice that when we perform a:

switch# show vlan

the swtichport shows up on both vlans (10 and 510). However, this normal behavior does not happen on a ws-c2924-xl switch. This switch model does have the commands available ("switchport voice vlan") but does not seem to put the port on both vlans. What I need the switch to do is tagged the voice traffic and leave data traffic untagged.

Am I wrong??

2 Replies 2

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Cisco negotiates a speciallized dot1q trunk when you use the voice vlan command and tags the voice vlan traffic and native vlan traffi as untagged

Since the XL series switches are pretty old, these might be shown on the trunk port

HTH

Narayan

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

Also, IP phone might have to present for VLAN to be up on that switch. For some purposes Cisco uses CDPv2 to detect IP Phone

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: