Views
Helpful
Replies

AP MAC footprinting

dumble4me
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My enterprise is having 1010 Lightweight Access Points. I have one Access Point with MAC id, say 0001 2345 6780.

My security team has done a AP MAC footprinting in my campus. During wireless footprinting exercise (using NetStumbler ver 0.4.0 build 554) the MAC addresses were recorded as 0001 2345 678e (unencrypted) and as 0001 2345 678f (encrypted). Basically each AP reported two MAC addresses one unencrypted and the other encrypted with WEP.

Can anyone tell me why this shows two different MAC address for the same AP ?

Thanks,

Pete

2 Replies 2

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

The 10x0 series have two mac addresses listed on the top page, the ethernet mac & the base mac which are the same. You will see the same mac on the b/g & A radio interfaces as well per WCS & WLC 4402 web int

A lot of APs have a unique mac for the radio interface & another for the wired mac.

Not sure why you are seeing different mac #s

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds like you have at leaast two SSID's, the first SSID you define will use the burned in MAC address additionl SSID's will use the base MAC address incremented by one for each successive SSID. As in your example the lat octet is 8e for one and 8f for the second.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card