Helpful
Replies

err-disabled on fastEthernet port

willemvwyk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have the following on my switch:

FastEthernet0/16 is down, line protocol is down (err-disabled)

Does this mean the port is disabled by the switch or by a human? How would one know when to err-disable a port? What are the commands?

If I want to enable the port again, can I and how will I go about doing it?

Thanks

wvw

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

Port-Security Feature has been implemented in FastEthernet 0/16.

Security Violation has been done on this Port. There is a rule set with Port-Security Feature called if Security Violation is done means shutdown the Port ie., Port is disabled by the Switch.

So, someone has Violated the Security Restrictions on this Switch Port. So the Switch has disabled the usage of Port further.

You will have to Manually login to the Switch go into the Interface Configuration mode and Issue the "no shutdown" command under the FastEth0/16 Port to re-enable the Port to UP Status.

Please Refer Link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00806cd87b.shtml

#show port-security

command will show help you to identify the Problem. I hope some Mac-address, VLAN, IP-Address has been binded to this Particular port.

Some Violation on this Security Feature (on interface) will make the Interface go into Shutdown State.

You will have to Manually enter the Interface Configuration mode & input "no shut" command in config-if to re-enable the Port to UP status.

To See the Interface is in Shutdown State:

Switch#sh run interface fastEtherneto/16

Also, verify the Security Feature using "Show port-security" command output.

PLS RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

Port-Security Feature has been implemented in FastEthernet 0/16.

Security Violation has been done on this Port. There is a rule set with Port-Security Feature called if Security Violation is done means shutdown the Port ie., Port is disabled by the Switch.

So, someone has Violated the Security Restrictions on this Switch Port. So the Switch has disabled the usage of Port further.

You will have to Manually login to the Switch go into the Interface Configuration mode and Issue the "no shutdown" command under the FastEth0/16 Port to re-enable the Port to UP Status.

Please Refer Link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00806cd87b.shtml

#show port-security

command will show help you to identify the Problem. I hope some Mac-address, VLAN, IP-Address has been binded to this Particular port.

Some Violation on this Security Feature (on interface) will make the Interface go into Shutdown State.

You will have to Manually enter the Interface Configuration mode & input "no shut" command in config-if to re-enable the Port to UP status.

To See the Interface is in Shutdown State:

Switch#sh run interface fastEtherneto/16

Also, verify the Security Feature using "Show port-security" command output.

PLS RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco