Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading to 3Mbps Service

julian
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just purchased a Cisco 2811 with two T1 Wics and a new wireless WIC, three in all. We have two dedicated T1s coming into our building and we are currently using our ISPs router but I want to put mine in and control the access.

First, do I need to do anything special to configure the two T1 serial ports to work in tandem (Bundle) and get 3Mbps for our WAN connection?

Then after I get our Verizon account, is there anything special I need to do to configure the Wireless card to kick in if we ever lose our T1 access? Is it a simple case of adding more priority to the wired route? Has anyone had any experience with these new W-WAN WICs?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Julian

If you want to combine the 2 T1s to get one logical entity with a bandwidth capacity of 3 Mbs then what you are looking for is multilink PPP. It is easy to configure and works well. It does require that routers on both ends be configured to support it so you need to check with whoever manages the router that the T1s connect to (and I realize that I just made an assumption that both T1s terminate on the same router - can you clarify whether this assumption is correct?).

If there is a problem supporting multilink PPP at the remote end then you could run the T1s independently and load balance which would make effective use of both T1s.

I have done a little testing with wireless WAN WIC but do not have any live experience with it. From a routing perspective it works like an interface with a dialer interface. You would use the dialer interface as the routed interface. You could run a dynamic route over it or if you are using static routes then you could configure a floating static route on it.

Good luck with it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thank you very much for your reply. I found a good step by step explaination of how to setup the Multilink PPP on http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/ong/15304/15304sfw/dcppp.htm#35497 which will be a huge help.

I have to say that I am very new to configuring routers and I'd be greatful if you could shed more light on the Wireless WIC configuration or point me in a direction.

I also found it odd that my WIC does not have any lights on it and is not showing up when I run an inventory of the router. Is this normal? I am worried that I received a bad WIC.

I was able to setup the multilink interface and assign it an IP address. I also setup both serial interfaces with en ppp but the multilink-group feature is missing.

How can I add the two serial interfaces to the multilink group 1?

Julian

First about the wireless WIC: no it is not normal for it to have no lights and for the router to not list it. I suspect that the version of IOS currently in your 1841 does not support that wireless WIC. When we were testing we found that there were only 1 or 2 versions available that supported the WIC. What version of IOS are you running? The output of show version would show this and would be helpful.

Would I be correct in assuming that you had the 1841 or recently purchased the 1841 and got the wireless WIC independently? Or did you order the 1841 and order the wireless WIC in the same order?

As far as multilink is concerned, I am not clear which version of code was used in the link that you found but it may be different from the version that you are using. The syntax of some of the commands did change a little. If you look at the on line help in interface configuration mode you can probably figure it out. In interface configuration mode enter:

ppp ?

and this should show you the command parameters available. If you can not figure it out then do the ppp ? and post the output and we should be able to guide you through what you need.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

We purchased a 1841 with the WIC but I then RMA'd the router and bought a 2811 since I needed to have two T1s and the Wireless.

We are running version 12.4(3g)

Julian

In looking at the thread again I am surprised that I talked about 1841 since your original post does say 2811 and I do not find any reference to 1841 till I mentioned it. (probably a slip on my part since my testing was on 1841) I guess the real point is whether you ordered your router with the wireless WIC? If so whoever you ordered it from should have made sure that it shipped with an IOS that would support the card. And if you ordered the WIC with a different router and then ordered the 2811 then we need to find an IOS version that will support it. Based on my experience it will probably require a very recent 12.4T train. If you have access to the Feature Navigator you should be able to find which image(s) support the wireless WIC. Or perhaps the information that shipped with the WIC would have that information. In any case I am confident that 12.4(3g) will not support that card.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: